How do you get someone sectioned ?

Helena

May 24, 2006
I took a day off today to go and vist my Mother .........boy did i need a stiff drink when i got home

She has destroyed share certificates
written out cheques to cover share dividend cheques which she insisted were bills dont even ask where they are now ......posted back to the registrars i think

has lost keys to the house ......claims the spares do not work .......they do
Insists the car key opens her front door

Insists the writing in her diary and elsewhere is not hers ......it is unmistakably hers

it took hours to straighten out an unmitigated mess she had made of paperwork which apparently my sister sorted out 2 weeks ago
told me i should leave my husband of 39 yrs !!!
The spite and venom etc was beyond a joke

the minute i left she phoned my sister ranting and raving that " SHE" had taken x,y,z
SHE had done this and that and the other along with locking her out of the house

It realy is no wonder i have positively no patience ..........yeah I know its the disease and its probably LBD because she had no problem telling me the directions to the bank etc when i drove her there to pay in what cheques she had not destroyed

Clearly she cannot no matter what she thinks live alone

The only good thing was I found the EPA she swears black was white was purple she never ever had or signed 10 years ago

So now I will register it PDQ

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hi Helena

Not got much advice to give, but I can so empathise with some of the things you're saying. Before dad went into nh I'd sort out all his paperwork ...... and then he'd take it all out and muddle it again. Just before Xmas I found him 'paddling' in 2 inches of Xmas cards on the floor that he was trying to write. Breaks my heart now.

Answer re sectioning is that it usually needs GP, psychiatrist and social worker. Hope you manage to get hold of one of them and start to get things sorted out.

hugs, (and a top up for your glass)

Áine

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Helena,
Hope that you have recovered a bit from your day - glad that you found the EPA, at least you can get that sorted.
I think you will need to contact your mum's GP, and discuss with him how you go about getting mum into a care home.
Best wishes,
Helen

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Helena, big deep breaths now, and try to step back a bit.

Yes I know, at the end of the day, you are the ones to sort out the mess, but Mum is not to blame. It really is the illness. Try to get some help, either GP, or CPN, and yes, get the EPA registered.

Thinking of you, take care,

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
How do you get someone sectioned?

Last year my Mum had an extremely distressing episode of hallucinations, where she said she opened the front door and my (deceased) father and a group of other people went upstairs. She really believed it and was inconsolable when she realised Dad hadn't come home. We rang the GP immediately and he arranged to see us out of hours, at 6pm at the surgery. He said to bring an overnight bag for Mum. She had calmed down by the time we got there and he gave her some tablets and arranged for a psychiatrist to come and see her at home. This happened the next day and medication was prescribed. I think Mum would have been taken into care that evening if the GP had thought it necessary. I don't know about Sectioning because Mum saw the GP on a voluntary basis. I was very impressed at the speed of referral though!

Helena

May 24, 2006
My Mother will not see her GP
She is venonmous that its me who is mad because theres nothing wrong with her and its sunday today not monday !
Shes been dealing with papers for years
She knows what she is doing

If only she did know what she was doing

bright daylight and curtains were all drawn

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Helena hi,

This 'money' thing and having to protect their financial interests 'appears' to be a pretty common problem - well more than one AD sufferer has it - my wife included. A bit like you I have been accused of stealing - attempting to steal - all the property, house, cash, bank accounts - even my boat!!!

I really could not think of a 'form of words' to calm it down - If I agreed I was a stranger then she would want me to leave or at least continue with her anger and if I told her the exact truth she would look at me pityingly and tell me I was a lying madman... no win situation - I began to think she was insane - not just had AD but was actually mad... BUT I stumbled on a pretty good solution..

I started to tell her it was a 3rd party - her brother who had all the deeds and the 'keys' to the bank accounts and owned the boat... If I ever bring stuff back from the boat to work on it is now stuff from 'Bruce's' boat that I am looking after... It is all working really well...

The suggestion I am making is that maybe you could transfer all the 'blame' to somebody else - distant or close relative that does not visit - an imaginary accountant - or the real one??? I also got the doc to prescribe drugs that actually do reduce these difficult symptoms.. the combination of 'great story' and 'better drugs' has worked well - for us..

Bit 'mars' I know but maybe a 'good story' and the Docs might work for you too?

Love

Michael

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Thanks for that Nada (not that I need it), but annoyed myself last night that I couldn't find the information!
Helen

Helena

May 24, 2006
With a probable Lewy Body dementia patient who is adamant they are not leaving their home and can put on the poor 90 yr old act thats going to be fun !!!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Helena,
So much of this is not fun, is it? But I think a conversation between you, your sister and your mum's GP really must be your first port of call. Let us know how you get on.
Helen