How do you get my dad to eat and drink ,hes not been well with cold. Refuses everything. So worried.

Tinglecreek

Sep 23, 2019
Suffolk
How can I get my dad to eat and drink hes just not interested so worried. I think maybe hes forgetting how ,he seems to be getting worse quickly.

Amber17

Sep 20, 2019
My mums the same her appetite has decreased a lot since being in and out of hospital in the last month. She’s constantly complaining of heart burn she’s having ranitidine and gaviscon. She’s eating less and takes ages to swallow. I’m not sure what to do either thinking is her dementia getting worse?

Sorry I couldn’t help I’m worried like you are :(

Tinglecreek

Sep 23, 2019
Suffolk
My mums the same her appetite has decreased a lot since being in and out of hospital in the last month. She’s constantly complaining of heart burn she’s having ranitidine and gaviscon. She’s eating less and takes ages to swallow. I’m not sure what to do either thinking is her dementia getting worse?

Sorry I couldn’t help I’m worried like you are :(
Thanks for your reply, it's so hard ....this really is trial and error. My dad will say he wants an omelette, I make it then he won't eat it. He will only drink tea out of some cups,ones he loved that said special grandad ,confuse him. It's so hard..at the end of the day it's my dad and I love him so much and want the best for him,but he doesn't realise that, because he has dementia.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Have you had them assessed by SALT? They will come and maybe prescribe Thick and Easy.
You can always phone the SALT team yourself or get the District Nurse to do it.
I had to get my dad a dementia cup.Dad has co ordination problems.He has Vascular Dementia.
It is red and light to pick up.
They usually recommend a bright colour for people with dementia as their eyesight tends to get worse.Alongside their understanding of what they are seeing..I hope this information may help.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Can he swallow? Does he hold the food in his mouth? These are the signs that SALT look for. My husband now has Level 4 puréed food and his liquids have a thickener stirred in. He no longer enjoys tea because of this so mostly drinks water or squash from a sippy cup. He has also been given Ensure drinks for increased nutrition.

Tinglecreek

Sep 23, 2019
Suffolk
Have you had them assessed by SALT? They will come and maybe prescribe Thick and Easy.
I had to get my dad a dementia cup.Dad has co ordination problems.He has Vascular Dementia.
They usually recommend a bright colour for people with dementia as their eyesight tends to get worse.Alongside their understanding of what they are seeing..I hope this information may help.
Thank you for your advice.

Amber17

Sep 20, 2019

Thank you for your information I will look into it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Staffs