How do you deal with loss of person you once knew?

CEADavies

Nov 7, 2015
Norfolk
My father is in middle stage of dementia. My mum looks after him. I feel like I'm slowly losing my beloved dad, day by day. It's heartbreaking. His personality is changing. He's lost his dry wit & intelligence. Occasionally there are still flashes of his humour, perception, but it's gradually going. I almost feel like I'm starting to grieve for him even though he's still alive. And is it awful to wish that something quiet & painless will end his life in the not too distant future, for his sake & his family's?

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi and welcome to TP, I am sorry you are beginning to go through this, but as you will find, there will be help along the way here from people going through the same. We stand united.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi, Welcome to TP.
Sadly all of us looking after a person with Dementia understand what it is like when you start losing the person you know and love.
I never got used to it but I did learn to cope outwardly, their were plenty of tears along he way
I found it helped by coming here where people did understand, I could have a bit of a rant. Reading other people's posts also helped me to put things into perspective, though they could be Scarey.
XXX

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
It is hard to see a lovely lady like my mother in law slowly slip away from us with Alzheimers. But she has a large loving family who all visit and care, and still loves to see her many grandchildren and great grandchildren. None of her family want to think of losing her, but would want her to have a peaceful and dignified last few years.

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
My father is in middle stage of dementia. My mum looks after him. I feel like I'm slowly losing my beloved dad, day by day. It's heartbreaking. His personality is changing. He's lost his dry wit & intelligence. Occasionally there are still flashes of his humour, perception, but it's gradually going. I almost feel like I'm starting to grieve for him even though he's still alive. And is it awful to wish that something quiet & painless will end his life in the not too distant future, for his sake & his family's?

i am with you all the way i grieve every day and long for things to just end quickly and then feel so quilty and unkind but can not help my feelings feel for you

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
It's awful, there is no denying it. But I don't think there's anything so awful about wishing it would end for them, particularly when someone no longer has a clue about anything, no longer recognises any of their family, and is maybe doubly incontinent on top. Which of us would want to go on in such circumstances?

There is an awful lot of talk about 'dignity' in dementia but IMO although there can be kind and sensitive care, there cannot possibly be any shred of dignity once someone has reached that stage. I often wished for it to be all over for my poor mother, and although it was very sad when it finally happened, I could not truly be sorry, when I knew how much her former self would have hated what she had become.

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
dignity

My lovely wife June is 8years into this terrible illness I no if she was aware of what's happening she would not want to be alive there is nothing I can do I have just seen June not a good day for her.I am sat in pub next to MH drowning my sorrows not the answer but what the hell .anyway tomorrow is another day take care xx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I guess we all pray for a short and easy passing for our loved ones before the dementia takes them away from us entirely. I don't think there is anything to feel guilty about there? Its the ultimate act of love - letting go.

We all walk the same path, shoulder to shoulder. Its not a journey anyone would choose but at least here we are not alone.

Keep posting. It helps.
Love Quilty

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
I am in the same situation as you CEA. My Dad is in the middle stages of vascular dementia. I live for those moments when we are alone together and a flash of his old wit comes through. Not so often nowadays, but he still stuns me with his humour and I will treasure those little gems. Listen out for them and take a mental snapshot whenever you can. They will stand you in good stead.

I don't think your wish is awful at all. For us, in the middle stages, the thought of what is to come brings a constant sense of fear and dread. I can only hope for the best and expect the worst. Over 3 years into my Dad's journey, every day is like the first for me as it changes so much. Xx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Like so many I grieve the mum that brought me into this world. The fun, loving, strong caring and so loving lady my mum was. Like so many I wish that the end would come quick and peacefully. The CH are so caring to mum but all they see is this frail confused sometimes nasty(I have been on the end of her punches and slaps) lady and I want to scream this isn't my mum. Like so many I have guilt for wishing my mum to pass away. Like so many I cry my tears. But like so many I carry on. Have a big hug and feel comforted that so many share how you feel xxxx

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
My Mom in is the late stages of this awful disease. I grieve for my Mom and wish it was all over for her. She is very calm but sleeps all the time. She was a wonderful woman and Mother and to see her like she is now is heartbreaking. I know if she knew how she was, she would be devastated and would not want her family to watch her. The long goodbye, it certainly is. Love to all. xxx

Charlie39

Dec 10, 2012
Dorset

I am feeling exactly like you. My Mum means everything to me, and she is slowly becoming less herself. I do not know how to handle it either, other than saying some days are harder than others. I will think of you. X

Rosie56

Oct 5, 2013
Us too

I think we are now entering this stage. Mum's funny, sparky personality has almost completely disappeared: instead there is someone who keeps telling the same boring, self-centered (and untrue) anecdotes, over and over. Though she has daily care at home and in a care centre, she accepts no help with personal hygiene from me or anybody and is frankly filthy. She's incontinent and smells terrible. We've tried and tried to get this sorted but there doesn't seem to be a solution; at the moment we're in the process of changing care agencies.

I had a fierce row with my partner recently because I was all jagged and raw after visiting her (she lives a long way off and has repeatedly refused to come and live nearer me) and he didn't understand why I was so fragile. Yes, he could see I was tired but it was so much more than tiredness! He doesn't realize what it's like to lose a beloved parent to Alzheimer's. He thought I was acting crazily. Maybe I was... He and I haven't been together very long and his parents didn't have dementia. He deals with Mum kindly, very well actually, but he doesn't understand how it gets to me, the loss and misery of it. To him she's just another daft old lady whereas I know what she used to be.

fremington6

Apr 30, 2013
Devon
And so it goes on

We are now going into the 6th year of my husbands VasDem and I can now see yet a further change. We have tried one day a week at a lovely care centre but he shouted at me that I was trying to get rid of him and he just wanted to be with me. We are going to try a different group where there are more men to see if this will work. I am drained and just need a 'day off'. Reviews are now being passed back to the GP as the system is changing yet again where we live. It's a nightmare. Don't know what I'd do without the support of the Alzheimers soc, brilliant advice from them. Today I hear that we are in a county where the overall support is 'wanting' through lack of resources. I feel I am failing him and don't know what else I can do. Feel for you too. Sorry just a bad day.

Last edited:

River15

May 28, 2015
Me too

I often day dream and think of the memories before my mum developed Alzheimer's. Simple things like her making me a hot water bottle can bring me to tears. I miss the mum she once was but now each day spent with her is important and precious. This is the cruellest of diseases xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124