how do you all find time to use computer

junegl

Apr 19, 2007
Buckinghamshire
please tell me how you manage to use the computer , my husband will not sit still for any time at all and will keep shouting at me to say when are you coming to sit with me, what are you doing.even if I put a chair near me and try to involve Jack in what I am doing he just does not understand.He is staying with our eldest daughter for a night so that I can have a quite time for myself. I feel that I am closed in a box and cannot get out.He is nearly blind very deaf so there is not much that I can give him to keep him occupied for any time he just cannot see or hear anything like a book or a talking book,this is a great pitty as he was a great reader and crossward fan,What do you all do with your Husband, Wife, Mother, or Father to keep them occupied.please give me some tips.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi June gl
Welcome to TP.
When my Peg was with me I used to help her to bed at about 9-30 or when she was ready and then use my PC until maybe midnight.
Sometimes in the daytime if a carer was present.
Norman

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi June,

I use mine during the day, when my husband reads the paper, reads his books or goes for a walk.

I use it during the evening while he watches TV, re-reads the paper or falls asleep in the chair.

Your husband has far more severe needs if he is nearly blind and very deaf. What time does he go to bed?

Would headphones help him listen to the radio?

It must be especisally hard for you. If you could get to the computer more, you would certainly get a lot of support from everyone on TP.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Crosswords

Hi Junegl

It's so difficult!

At the moment my Dad is in an assessment centre and while he's there I've moved back to my own house & therefore have time to access the computer. Prior to that I moved in with Mum & Dad for several weeks to give Dad the 24/7 care he needed & I can honestly say that we didn't have a minute to ourselves - so I can fully understand what you're going through.

Just a thought - my Mum has good mental health but is registered blind -& loves crosswords, so we try to tackle them together when we can - with me reading the clues & any letters we have managed to get in. She's pretty remarkable - as she can often solve anagrams in her head - whereas I need to see all the letters written down! Not sure whether your husband would still be able to assist you with the clues if you read them.

I have been looking on the internet for simple crossword puzzles etc to do with my Dad who has AZ - but not been able to find any as yet. Perhaps someone else on here can suggest a source of activities suitable for Alzheimer's sufferers.

Take care

Gill x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
When Jan was at home in the final year or so, I would put her to bed and grab a few minutes - as many as I could - around midnight.

In the last six months she was at home, she would wander if I didn't actually get into bed with her, so that went down the pan for a while.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Hello June,

I too was wondering how everyone found so much time! I just dip in and out when I can although late night seems to be the best time, and it seems a lot of us find that is the best time too. Only trouble is, I get involved in so many threads, I lose out on sleep!!!

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I didn't contact Talking Point while staying with my mother (I was afraid she might recover enough to see the word Alzheimer's on the screen), only when she sent me away and after she'd died.

Lila

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi June

I seem to be in a similar position to you. I care for my husband 24/7, and have plenty of time during the day. John has lost virtually all language, cannot read or follow TV. He used to be a good painter, but can no longer do that. Thanks to TP, I have sourced adult colouring books, which keep him happy for hours during the day. They may not be suitable for your husband as he's nearly blind, but if you're interested, I'll find the thread for you.

He goes to bed very early, often at 6pm (his demand), so I'm free in the evenings. I go up at 10.30 to change him.

Unfortunately, I'm so exhausted that I often have to go to bed myself then, so I miss the late evening sessions, which are often the most active on TP. Still, it's good to have a catch-up session in the morning!

Let me know if you think the colouring books might help.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm at work

I dip in & out of TP during the day but mostly spend my lunch hour browsing through. I bring my lunch to work & eat & read. It's my way of relaxing.

My mother is in a nursing home so I don't have the problems that people caring for someone at home do.