How do you all cope.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Thank you all for your support it really does mean a lot.
Again I say, when I read what others are coping with I feel very small.....

.... however on the upside the additional meds my OH has been taking for 10 days has somewhat reduced the pressure he was asserting on needing to 'go home'. Thank goodness for the bad weather the last 2 days. When he's said he needs to pack the car up I have said 'Absolutely not. You mean far too much to me to allow you to drive in these conditions', Whereas he smiled at me and said OK I'll leave it until tomorrow (that's another day but at least the stress for today has passed!).

I know dementia, of all forms, affect people in different ways but is this needing to go home a phase that will pass?

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
We moved some furniture around today and my OH said , so are we staying here then? I told him yes, and he was very happy. It’s not lies, it’s reassurance, because tomorrow he won’t remember what he said, and won’t remember what we did. Rest easy!

loobyloo10

May 30, 2016
Hi All my first post here, tho' I have been reading for a while.

My OH was diagnosed with Alzheimers a year ago, 2mths after I lost my mum who suffered dementia for 20yrs. Over the last month he has become very adamant he lives elsewhere, the place varies but always involved a distance of at least 100 miles. I find it so stressful trying to prevent him leaving the house.

On Monday I couldn't take it any more. He has always been headstrong, knows what he wants and determined to do the right thing. I took him to the Doctors who prescribed addition meds. He is now much more settled and not so adamant in what he 'needs' to do but I still spend a couple of hours every lunch time trying to convince him he lives here with me and has done for the last 25yrs and doesn't need to go anywhere. Distraction sometimes work but it's getting harder.

Every morning I wake up dreading lunch time - by about 2.30 he has normally settled down again but the future looks so bleak I just don't know where to turn. We don't have children, tho' he has a son from a previous marriage close by and a daughter further away but we rarely hear from them and in fairness both his son and his wife have medicals issues.

I am so alone in trying to cope, I can only see an even bleaker future as things progress.

All I ever wanted from retirement was a stress free time and this is anything but.

Sorry to vent, I hate being weak and feeling sorry for myself.
Oh poor you . Don't beat yourself up ..you are doing a fantastic job although I can feel your despair and isolation. Where.would he be with you .my mum.has vascular and you never know how she will.be .life is just a roller coaster that you can't get off .just keep smiling as hard as it can be
Sending you a big hug