How do we keep CHC?

LWak8

Oct 29, 2014
Hi All
Apologies for the next long post but am in need of advice!
My mum is in Stage 7. She still lives at her home with my brother who is now her primary carer. Luckily she has some investments that allow us to pay for 1 carer 3 times a day.
A month ago she fell over in the living room and dislocated her shoulder and broke her pelvis. She spent 3 1/2 weeks in hospital.
She was assessed and granted CHC for 2 carers 4 times a day as part of her after care package.
3 days before she came out, we were told that as she had an existing carer, we would only be entitled to 1 carer to help ours 3 times a day.
Mum came out of hospital in a very much deteriorated state. She has lost so much weight, now has bed sores, much more 'out of it', can only be moved using a hoist (provided by Hospital) and is starting to show signs of not being able to swallow.
CHC will be reviewed in a months time. A nurse at the hospital warned us that they usually seek to withdraw this once a patient is back at home.
Mum's investments do not stretch to extra carers. Am so worried that we will have to now sell her house and move her into a care home.We want her to stay at home. I know this is where she is happiest. Can I argue that CHC must continue as her condition has not improved and is in fact getting worse? Would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, carers 4 times a day sounds like a bog standard after care package, not Continuing Healthcare. That would require an indepth assessment of 11 domains, in two of which she would have to score the highest "Severe" rank. Then all her care would be free, though there are regular reassessments in which she could be downgraded.

Have you spoken to social services? She shouldn't have been sent home without an adequate care package. If this isn't adequate they ought to reassess now.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think they call that Continuing Care rather than the Continuing Health Care which is a different thing. The former is for a certain number of weeks after leaving hospital.

Last edited:

LWak8

Oct 29, 2014
But if that care has been granted to help with a person's condition and that condition has not improved , then surely the care will have to continue (?)
Im wondering if my Mums condition is now medical due to the physical problems she now has with lack of mobility etc.
I really cant see how she will have improved in any meaningful way within the next month.
Do you think this might be a line of argument?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The thing with CHC is that it is given for need at a particular time - only if your very fortunate too!
We know that a person with dementia will not improve but their needs do change as the disease progresses and often the special care which was required for say, aggression, is no longer required.
It is supposed to be for health needs but I'm afraid that doesn't always happen.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Not sure, but as others have said this sounds like a temporary package of care-possibly re-ablement? You could argue that your Mum needs this care from now on but she could have to pay for it if she has enough money to be self funding-or a percentage if not. CHC is very involved-there has to be a checklist/assessment/panel agreement etc before it is given. If it is deemed appropriate there could be a 'fast track' if it's thought to be necessary due to a person considered to be approaching end of life.

Phone the SW-find out what (if any) funding your Mum has been given. If it's something like re-ablement perhaps they could extend it for a while. She should at least have some input from a District/Community Nurse due to the bedsores.

Insist the SW visits your Mum to see for herself how much your Mum has deteriorated.

Take care

Lyn T XX

LWak8

Oct 29, 2014
Thank you all for your comments. Lots for us to be following up!
Just spoke to my sister and she is adamant that CHC has been awarded. The nurses on the ward were really surprised that she got it. But ...she was really bad in hospital.
Unfortunately we have not received a copy of this assessment. We have asked when we can receive it and no one seems to know where its gone.
1st thing is obviously to find that copy!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan