• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

How do I register my aunt with new GP in this situation?


Registered User
Jan 28, 2015
So my aunt, who has dementia, is now living with my mother in a different area.

This happened without too much warning after my aunt's house was burgled, but it's probably the best thing that could have happened, as it had got to the point where it was too squalid and unhealthy to live in as she refused all offers of help and assistance.

So it seems the sensible thing is to register her with my mum's GP, especially as it is a 2 minute walk from the house and we could never get my aunt to visit her GP. It's much more likely we'll be able to have her health problems addressed now.

So I've got the forms from the local GP, but of course they are looking for proof of local residence.

So how do I get around this? I can't see how I can get anything with her name and my mum's address on it unless I apply for a new account in her name. What other proof of residence documents would be acceptable?

Anyone been in this situation and can help?


Registered User
May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
I had the same issue when my Mum moved in with me, I needed to register her at my GPs. I went in and explained the situation to them, and they asked me to write a letter stating she was now resident at my address and registered her with that. Perhaps ask your Mums GP if they would accept a letter from your Mum, as she is already registered there?


Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
Has your aunt been added on to the Counicil Tax records for the property? You may be able to do this online.


Registered User
May 18, 2014
I got the ball rolling by writing a letter to new gp, confirming mum's then gp and request to register. At the time we had no proof of new address. but it started the process, because we were told it would take 6 weeks. during that time I got mum's bank account address changed and a private pension company. Took these proof of new address to surgery, all fine and in meantime while waiting for permanent registration to come through, mum was treated at new surgery as emergency patient.

At same time we wrote a letter confirming that I had mum's permission to discuss all her medical needs.


Registered User
Jan 5, 2014
My mum moved into sheltered extra care flat and they wrote a letter for me.

As I was moving all her financial matters to be sent to my address as POA I couldn't get a proof of address that way.


Registered User
Jan 28, 2015
Has your aunt been added on to the Counicil Tax records for the property? You may be able to do this online.
Not yet. We really weren't sure whether she was going to 'make a break for it' and go back home, but it seems she is settling in and isn't showing signs of wanting to go back, so I'll have to start the process of officially moving her soon.


Registered User
May 21, 2014
I just said: "He's just moved in with me. I am a patient here and I can vouch for him." That was all that was needed a decade ago. Maybe we were lucky.

Forum statistics

Latest member
Maureen R