How do I know I'm following the rules?

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hello,

I've been using the Talk site since November 2009 but I'm still uncertain if I'm doing things right.

I sent a couple of private messages recently to people who had responded to my posts but they don't seem to be there:confused: Have I done something wrong?

Polly H

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Polly - when you say "not there" do you mean when you go to your Private Message screen, Jump to Folder Outbox they aren't there? Or is it possible that instead of sending them as private messages, you've sent them as visitor messages (in which case they will appear under the person's profile).

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hi Jennifer,

I'm not sure.... I'll go and look.

I'm useless with technology and feel so stressed out at the moment I'm paranoid I've upset someone (unwittingly)

Back in a moment.

Polly H

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I can assure you that this isn't the result of upsetting anyone.

Just hold on a sec and I'll set up a series of pictures so you can see how to do this.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
First of all in , the right hand top corner of the screen you'll see something like this. Obviously it will be your username not mine :) Click on the Private Messages link

Picture 5.png

Then you'll come to a screen like thisPicture 4.png

See the Jump to Folder: ?

Use the arrow key to go to Sent Items so it looks like this
Picture 6.png

At this point you'll see all the messages you have sent. If you're still having problems (or this isn't clear, which it might not be :D) post again.

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Thanks Jennifer,

Got this.... checked the box says I have "0" In and "0" sent.

Maybe I did something wrong and the emails never went? What do you think?

Polly H

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well definitely they didn't go. Are you sure you didn't simply answer a post on the forum?

Here's how to find out: click on your name in this thread like so

Picture 7.png

this will give you a popup like this

Picture 8.png

and when you choose Find all posts by Polly H you'll get this

Picture 9.png

This is a list of all the posts you have made. (P.s. ignore the delivery confirmation stuff at the bottom of the screen - that's just rubbish from MY screen)

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Jennifer - you deserve a medal - I'm sure Polly will feel really welcome now! Looking forward to getting to know you Polly......

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Thanks Sue, but that's what I'm here for.

Polly - the only other suggestion I have is that you "may" have sent "visitor" messages rather than "private" messages. If that's the case, you need to click on the name of the person you thought you'd sent a message to and get to their profile page which is where visitor messages show up. Personally, I hate visitor messages because they cause no end of problems and there is no easy way to check them. Mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble.

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
Thanks Jennifer,
That has been helpful to me too, as I have also found it quite difficult to get used to. There seems to be so many replies to some of the threads, which is great,but it takes quite a bit of wading through everything.
Dancer84

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hello again Jennifer.

First of all, thank you Sue. You made me smile through my tears. (A very bad day today).

I've checked the "visitor private messages". Nothing there. I do hope I haven't sent it onto the "board". The reason for sending a "private message" is that I'm really worried that my siblings (who have EPA) will see it and recognise it from the context. One of the "privage messages" was for Sandy who is a moderator. Is it possible to check if she got it?

Polly H

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Polly - I checked all your posts & they do not seem very radical or exposing (others may have other opinions - but I would not be too worried & I'm over cautious) - I know from them your dad's age & your worries about medications & that not everyone involved agrees - but doubt there is anything very contentious. You did at one point say you were sending Sandy something - but what you said openly to Sandy is minimal. So I think you could probably stop worrying - water under the bridge so to speak. Just take care in future. & maybe now you are fully fledged & coached - try putting slightly more private stuff in Tearoom - can't be seen there except by members. Still need to be careful even there perhaps if there is strife.

PS - sorry such a bad day for you

Attachments

• Huggy smiley.gif
    Huggy smiley.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 413

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Thanks Sue, very reassuring

Love the picture!

Polly H (x)
Sorry "Bookworm" my last message was meant for you. My head is a shed!

Polly H
Hi Polly - I'm Sue as well as Bookworm. I'm mainly Sue to regulars (That is why I've identified myself by first name in signature). I think you are doing fine - keep at it - the more you interact the more skilled you become & as someone said - once you start helping others, you start being stronger yourself - so we need Polly H here, Sue x

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Polly,

No I did not get a private message from you.

And as I have Visitor Messages turned off, you couldn't have sent me one of those (I don't like VM's - too easily confused with PM's).

I'll send you a PM now and maybe that will make it easier to see how to send one by replying to mine.

You might want to look at the FAQ on PM's, but to be honest, it's just the standard FAQ that comes with the forum software and doesn't have pictures, so isn't the most user-friendly:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_private_messages

Take care,