How do I involve a GP?

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Pat,

Good to hear from you again. A couple of things that might help....

My mother had a urinary infection late last year and was given antibiotics too. These really seemed to aggravate her mood swings. They also caused her to become very weepy, depressed and snappy and also affected her appetite and sleep patterns during the course of the medication. Antibiotics are really harsh on the system, so I gave her multivitamins to attempt to alleviate some of the side effects.

You might like to have a look at the 'Payback Time Thread' which deals with constipation problems. Senna is pretty radical as a long term solution to constipation, so you might like to think about Lactulose and some of the other suggestions that have been posted.

'Personality changes' can be tough to deal with because of the irrationality involved. It's impossible to know why AD sufferers suddenly 'dislike' somebody for no apparent reason. One of the main things to keep in mind is that it is the Altzheimer's talking, not your mother. Keeping calm and trying distraction techniques may quite often work, unless she becomes too agitated. The best thing to do then is to just disappear for a while. My father is very prone to this sort of behaviour and I quite often have to vanish until he's forgotten why he was irritated.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Pat
it is a strange thing how one particular person becomes the disliked one.
In our case it is the elder son.
He is with his Mom for a short time and she will verbally attack him,it happens every time they meet.
She is never nasy to outsiders!!
Strange ?
Norman :confused:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

I don't know why this happens either. It's not much fun being the one under attack. My father sees my brother for approx 4 days of the year and talks about him in glowing terms for the other 361 days. Unfortunately however, on days when Dad can't remember who I am, he tends to do a pretty good character assassination in the third person..... Eeek.

Jude