How do I insert the icons/smileys please

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
That's the ones at the foot of the page.

I just tried to insert one at the position where the cursor was and it
was showing at the top of the post.

I tried to delete it but that wasn't successful either.

Help please

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you use the ones at the bottom of the page then those are Post Icons - that is they come up at teh top of the post. I'll put an ! in for this post. If you want to remove that icon, you click the No Icon circle at the bottom.

To insert an icon in the middle of text (like so :D) you use the icons to the right of the screen.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
That's the ones at the foot of the page.

I just tried to insert one at the position where the cursor was and it
was showing at the top of the post.

I tried to delete it but that wasn't successful either.

Help please

Hi Chris
The icons at the foot of the page can only go in the title area, rather than where the curser is
to delete it you need to untick the no icon box that is to the left of the icons
hope this helps

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Ah!!

Thank you Jennifer and Lin. I have tried it now so there should be 2 showing in the title bar. Why can't I see something? eg when using the smilies above something shows eg for the grin smiley I see :D before I post?

2 questions answered in one I think.

If someone starts a new thread with a symbol showing in the left most box/column thats how its done is it?

edit! only one symbol is showing and I selected 2 from the bottom

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You can only have one post icon - if you click another circle, it deletes the first one.

As to what you see when you insert a smiley in the text - this is historical really. Smileys were just a combination of keyboard character that sort of looked like the the thing (particularly if it was turned on its side). So a colon : and a right parenthesis ) looks together a bit (only a bit) like someone smiling, : ) (only without the space).

A grin is a colon and a D, a wink is a semicolon and a ) and so on.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
One post icon, I see. Well I've just selected the lightbulb and it is showing to the right of the title box. and just trying it out, I selected the 'no icon' and the bulb disappeared! Oh dear:eek: I must have too much time on my hands!:rolleyes:

Smileys, yes symbols as you describe. Jennifer, thank you! another little mystery (to me) solved:)