how do i get mum to eat

deedi

Jun 11, 2013
Hi hope someone can help with this question,how on earth do I get my mum to eat,im at my wits end.I have tried letting her graze but now she hardly eats anything,Also at what stage will we get help with her care do we ask the gp,or do we get social services.its all new to us and we are shattered already.we have got an appointment with the memory clinic so will they guide us.aaarrrggghhh,:confused:

KentJude

Jul 2, 2012
Maidstone
Hi deedi it sounds as if you've got so much happening at once with your poor mum, no wonder you're all so worried. I would go to the gp with the urgent issue of your mum's eating problems.

With most dementia I don't think you'd expect to see this degree of refusal of food until later stages. Everyone's different of course, that's the one certain thing about dementia, but I'd be wanting to rule out any other possible reasons for loss of appetite.

Here's a fact sheet on eating from the alzheimer's society - which offers a wealth of other information - http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=149

It's best to get a diagnosis as soon as possible as then the door will be open to many services and sources of advice. But in the interim you should ask your gp about a social services assessment for your mum and you as primary carer.

You'll find Talking Point a great source of info too.

Jude

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya deedi,

Have you found that your mum's tastes have changed and that she will now choose sweet food over savoury food? This could be why she is eating little. Another thing to rule out is whether there is any problem with her mouth. Does she have oral thrush perhaps or dentures are rubbing her gums, both of which can be painful and stop them eating. Maybe try her on sweet stuff for a while as they can be loaded with calories which is your main aim at the moment. Sponge and custard (made with extra cream in etc.), or home made rice pudding, tapioca, bread and butter pudding, cakes, biscuits, meringue nests with cream and diced fruits, little tubs of jelly, ice cream can all tempt them and help the appetite. An old savoury life saver is mashed potato and gravy. Can add butter and cream and even an egg to the potato and lots of nutrition if you make up batches of your own gravy.

Also, watch when your mum is eating and make sure she isn't having problems with swallowing. If you feel this might be the problem then ask the GP for an urgent referral to a SALT.. Speech and Linguistic Therapist. They have the ability to test for this and can offer solutions eg thickened drinks etc.

Hope this helps,

Fiona

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
my mothers taste changed and she liked sweet things and not difficult to chew but not pulp!! swallowing/chewing/badly fitting teeth or lack of can all add to the problem...just see what she will manage bit by bit...build up drinks can be prescribed by the gp

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
Deedi, are you keeping a food diary? If not it might be useful to do one so you can see what and when she is eating. If you take the diary to her GP it will give a better idea of the problem so that she can be referred for the right sort of help.

seng

Jul 25, 2013
Andover Hampshire
Hi Deedi,
We had to feed Mum every two hours, for a while because she hated a lot of food on her plate.
Her tastes had changed, sweet food she loved, she also felt more at ease with finger food.
Also try and talk to her while she eats, and try distracting her it might take longer but I might work.
Try and not get angry this will make her more stubborn.
I know it is difficult you have got to become very sneaky an crafty.

Take care

Hi hope someone can help with this question,how on earth do I get my mum to eat,im at my wits end.I have tried letting her graze but now she hardly eats anything,Also at what stage will we get help with her care do we ask the gp,or do we get social services.its all new to us and we are shattered already.we have got an appointment with the memory clinic so will they guide us.aaarrrggghhh,:confused:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You need help with this problem. Go to your GP and ask to be referred to a dietician. When I had this problem with my wife, this made a fantastic difference. The basic rule is t forget everything you've ever learned about healthy eating and load in the calories!:)

Later, when your mum has gained weight you can moderate this. But the priority is to get back within a normal weight range. This could help with other problems too.

The appointment with the memory clinic should help you. But people often find they have to pester all and sundry to get the help they need and and are entitled to.

Take care

deedi

Jun 11, 2013
Thank you so much everyone for the replies,i think I went into a panic mode.I have got an appointment with the gp on Monday and the memory clinic on Wednesday so hopefully I will know where im going from there:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95