How do I get a new needs assessment done?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
The carer went back to my mother's house, picked up her pullup pants, and bought them down. There wasn't a commode in the room, so I thought since there is an attached toilet, perhaps they take them onto that. However, they can't do that with my mother because she afraid of all of them, and having been sat down on the armchair for too long, which is quite low down, we are back to the same problem as at home, we can't make her stand up. It's pointless trying to take my mother to the toilet even because standing up is too difficult.
We bought some fruit for my mother, and after we were with her for half an hour and she started to recognise us, we fed her grapes and apples. She was clearly very hungry, so the carer went back to the house to at least get my mother some savoury crisps. Whilst she was out, I carried on feeding my mother with apples and grapes. I am joking with her and said to her "Bless, did they starve you here, have you been sent here after lunch because you were being naughty."
Completely above my mother's head, she is munching apples, and having a drink in between of juice, which I also had to hold for her to accept. This is becoming more common lately. She won't help herself. Next thing I know, a young man, I guess must be the cook came in looking very angry. "Your mother was given dinner, but she would only eat a little of her potato, and wouldn't eat any of the chicken."
It makes sense to me afterwards that the room has a hidden microphone in, but it completely took me aback to find out like this.
Hi..I hope you don’t mind me popping into your thread.. As you have a Sara Steady at home there should be one in the home. They could be using it with 2carers if need be. They won’t be able to get it into the toilet unless the toilet area is big.. You would think they would take her to the bathroom wouldn’t you?

If they sit her in a motorised recliner they can use that to get her up.
I hope things improve for her and you..As your mum has bad hearing can they not write it down for her what they want to do??

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Day 2 after work, hasn't been any easier. My mother has suddenly completely forgotten how to speak English. Even 2 weeks earlier in the hospital she was able to speak in English despite being upset and drugged up. This time my mother was in the main room, strapped to a wheelchair, I guess they found out the hard way, that sitting in an armchair for too long can have nasty after effects such as how to get her to stand up.
She was put near an oldish man in another wheelchair who was fast asleep, facing away from the others who were moving around in the room. I was told she was fine as long as no-one tried to contact her in any way. I guess she wasn't going to cause any trouble. She couldn't move, and she had nothing to do with anything. She didn't cry, she's like the Oxfam baby, why cry, no one will take notice unless they want to hurt you, be still child.
After 15 minutes she realised I was there with the carer, but then she did get upset. Not agitated, but upset, she wanted to go, she told me the place was closing and we had to leave now. She still would not speak in English, she was getting progressively more upset. After an hour of being ignored, I asked my mother's carer I would go into the bedroom to see if she had a drink she was allowed to have. The place is hot, my mother has been dressed in a jumper, and she gets completely confused when she gets dehydrated. On the way, a carer pours some orange squash into a sippy cup and thrusts it towards me, without looking at me.
My mother doesn't usually like orange squash, but she was thirsty and drank some of it.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thank you TNJJ, my mother's reading is now very bad. She reads maybe odd words out of a sentence and then gets lost. She is very much in her later stages of Alzheimers now. Ironically with a lot of work, and using the hospital bed at home the carer had started to devise a way of using the Sara Steady by tipping the bed very slowly, the arms move forward that way out of instinct and from there she could persuade my mother to pull herself up.
My mother could have gone to the toilet anytime she wanted, but she doesn't know how to ask anymore, it's more trial and error. Last time she has been number 2 on the loo is now 4 days ago. She is on Senna daily now, because she just refuses to go.
One of the carers complied and at least put a commode in the room tonight, but we still couldn't get my mother to stand up from the wheelchair today, and it was made very clear that this was very much our problem.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Day 2 after work, hasn't been any easier. My mother has suddenly completely forgotten how to speak English. Even 2 weeks earlier in the hospital she was able to speak in English despite being upset and drugged up. This time my mother was in the main room, strapped to a wheelchair, I guess they found out the hard way, that sitting in an armchair for too long can have nasty after effects such as how to get her to stand up.
She was put near an oldish man in another wheelchair who was fast asleep, facing away from the others who were moving around in the room. I was told she was fine as long as no-one tried to contact her in any way. I guess she wasn't going to cause any trouble. She couldn't move, and she had nothing to do with anything. She didn't cry, she's like the Oxfam baby, why cry, no one will take notice unless they want to hurt you, be still child.
After 15 minutes she realised I was there with the carer, but then she did get upset. Not agitated, but upset, she wanted to go, she told me the place was closing and we had to leave now. She still would not speak in English, she was getting progressively more upset. After an hour of being ignored, I asked my mother's carer I would go into the bedroom to see if she had a drink she was allowed to have. The place is hot, my mother has been dressed in a jumper, and she gets completely confused when she gets dehydrated. On the way, a carer pours some orange squash into a sippy cup and thrusts it towards me, without looking at me.
My mother doesn't usually like orange squash, but she was thirsty and drank some of it.
Is it in her care plan to be strapped in the wheelchair??If not she shouldn’t be . Only used for transporting in case she falls out.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
The carer will go in tomorrow while I am at work and see if she can persaude my mother to use the commode at least. Maybe if she tries at different times of the day, we may find out an optimum time zone.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Bless you TNJJ. I guess if she is in a wheelchair, they would have to keep her strapped in. It wouldn't have made any difference, she can't stand up on her own anyway.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you TNJJ, my mother's reading is now very bad. She reads maybe odd words out of a sentence and then gets lost. She is very much in her later stages of Alzheimers now. Ironically with a lot of work, and using the hospital bed at home the carer had started to devise a way of using the Sara Steady by tipping the bed very slowly, the arms move forward that way out of instinct and from there she could persuade my mother to pull herself up.
My mother could have gone to the toilet anytime she wanted, but she doesn't know how to ask anymore, it's more trial and error. Last time she has been number 2 on the loo is now 4 days ago. She is on Senna daily now, because she just refuses to go.
One of the carers complied and at least put a commode in the room tonight, but we still couldn't get my mother to stand up from the wheelchair today, and it was made very clear that this was very much our problem.
No that is NOT your problem! It is theirs!! She should be in a recliner to be got up and not sat in a wheelchair.She can get pressure sores especially if she is not on a proper cushion.(blur
Bless you TNJJ. I guess if she is in a wheelchair, they would have to keep her strapped in. It wouldn't have made any difference, she can't stand up on her own anyway.
Not unless it is her care plan. It is classed as restraint.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
There's always a danger my mother is thrown back into solitary confinement we worry about the restraint. There isn't a recliner chair anywhere that I can see. Do you think they will provide one?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
There's always a danger my mother is thrown back into solitary confinement we worry about the restraint. There isn't a recliner chair anywhere that I can see. Do you think they will provide one?
Surely they have a recliner somewhere??How many people in the home?

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thank you TNJJ. I will try not to break her out again until at least after the New Year than. However I took a few days off that week, and I'm looking for blankets that might be warm enough for an outside walk. I have already asked her carer to bring her own wheelchair down, it might be more comfortable then the NHS one.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
I don't know how many people are in the home, but most of them are pretty agile. One of the patience comes in daily to my mother's room for her chocolate, she takes it, then goes off again. Sadly I feel this a case of cupboard love rather than a genuine wish to become my mother's friend, but it's important to pay the ferry man

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you TNJJ. I will try not to break her out again until at least after the New Year than. However I took a few days off that week, and I'm looking for blankets that might be warm enough for an outside walk. I have already asked her carer to bring her own wheelchair down, it might be more comfortable then the NHS one.
I sent dad into respite with his own repose mattress ,pump,gutter frame etc.I also took a list of what he came in with and took photos on my phone.In case anything went missing.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I sent dad into respite with his own repose mattress ,pump,gutter frame etc.I also took a list of what he came in with and took photos on my phone.In case anything went missing.
Also his own wheelchair..Labelled!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart