How do I deal with.....

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
This seems to be the most common question asked on this forum. How do I deal with the...the pacing, the aggression, the questions, the face hitting, the paranoia.... add your own. I am not a trained anything, and yet I am now a chemist, psychologist, nurse, carer, cleaner and prisoner all in the blink of an eye, and I am not registered. How do I deal with it all? I have no idea, and the books Etc do not always deal with the bad stuff. I take heart from this forum, where I have learnt many things, and tonight’s lesson is to deflect and lie.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Reading your post @Thethirdmrsc makes me wonder how carers have fallen into this trap . No one would allow us to take on this level of responsibility for a stranger, never mind expect it from us , and yet we are allowed to muddle through, learning as we go and so often suffering quite severe mental and physical health issues as a result.

It`s only now when I am relieved of my caring responsibilities, can I appreciate the enormity of what is expected of us.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I remember a morning from a couple of years ago when I was leaving my wife into her Day Centre and I had a brief chat with a lady who was dropping off her husband. The lady remarked that she had never planned to become a 24/7 nurse when she retired.

Shortly after that morning I saw the lady and her husband for the last time and have often wondered if she just quit her unwanted 24/7 'job'. I have never made enquiries, just in case I see my own possible future in whatever transpired. Whenever it gets rough I just recall the day when the manager of the Day Centre said "It's tough Pete", and carry on as best I can.

As I say to others "My wife is the one with dementia, but we both suffer with it".

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
This is just what someone else said, we have to remember there are 2 people in this dementia bubble, and both of us are suffering.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
This seems to be the most common question asked on this forum. How do I deal with the...the pacing, the aggression, the questions, the face hitting, the paranoia.... add your own. I am not a trained anything, and yet I am now a chemist, psychologist, nurse, carer, cleaner and prisoner all in the blink of an eye, and I am not registered. How do I deal with it all? I have no idea, and the books Etc do not always deal with the bad stuff. I take heart from this forum, where I have learnt many things, and tonight’s lesson is to deflect and lie.
Can you imagine being put in charge of another, mentally impaired person (not a relative!) who was as difficult to deal with as your husband? Imagine being told, forget your life, from now on this is what you will be doing 24/7, no escape, no end date. Oh and you won't get paid a penny or receive any training or even a word of appreciation!

What you do is an enormous task and I admire your tolerance and resilience!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Can you imagine being put in charge of another, mentally impaired person (not a relative!) who was as difficult to deal with as your husband? Imagine being told, forget your life, from now on this is what you will be doing 24/7, no escape, no end date. Oh and you won't get paid a penny or receive any training or even a word of appreciation!

What you do is an enormous task and I admire your tolerance and resilience!
If that were a sentence imposed by the courts @Jaded'n'faded it would be in breach of our Human Rights, but as we are sentenced by fate and a cruel disease it seems to be perfectly sensible and prudent to the powers that be whoever they are,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa