How do I deal with the DVLA/Police regarding my Dad?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No idea what that means.
If only your father went to see gp and the eye appt, are you sure that what he says was true? Is he driving your cousin around again?
OH was high functioning, but still got diagnosed, so there has to be more to it than just the tests. For instance blood tests and scans.
Keep a record of any dementia-like behaviour to back up your case.
And if the gp refuses to tell DVLA, suggest that an accident might result in a death. Their child? Their partner?

GailM

Jan 1, 2017
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
My Dad was given a lift to the Opticians, but he would have gone in on his own. Yes he's back to taking my Cousin to work and back. He's been to see me this morning and is wearing his new glasses. Back to square one in terms of the dementia...

GailM

Jan 1, 2017
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
It's been nearly two years since I last posted. My Dad is no longer driving. He was having chest pains which he thought might be heart related and was scared to drive. It wasn't heart related. I told him to take two Rennies before he went to bed, and he hasn't had any chest pain since...I'm saying he no longer drives (since July 2017), I found out he had been driving to the bottle bank a few miles away (with my Uncle in the car). He shouldn't have been doing that. My Uncle said recently "we have to pick and choose our times when your Dad is ok to drive" ??? Anyway, I found out he no longer goes to the bottle bank either, so that's it. His driving days are gone. He is far worse than he was two years ago, yet the rest of the family (who he still lives with), are still in total denial and are STILL blaming it on the fact he's on the highest level of statins!!! He has been for nearly two years, but he showing signs before then. I've even said if the statins were causing it, why is he deteriorating? Nobody listens to me, so let them get on with it...

Moony66

Nov 20, 2023
I think the police is a good idea as a visit from a community officer may get the rest of the selfish family to pay attention; they would hopefully think twice before ignoring police advice. GPs can be good too but often take longer to act and some are reluctant to get involved in these issues even though they should.

Don't delay; this is an accident waiting to happen to either your dad, your family or someone else and you can't let it go.
I have a similar issue except my Father in law has had his licenced revoked following a police concern being sent to DVLA & him not filling out the medical form, he'd not be capable anyway. He keeps telling us he's not lost his licence and he's got it there (the photocard) and denies getting any further letters from the DVLA. I only saw the 2nd letter requesting he urgently fill out the form or it would be revoked/suspended.
2wks later I checked online and it had been revoked so we've repeatedly told him not to drive and it will be illegal/not insured. He just gets very verbally aggressive with us and says its not true, even saying the DVLA rung him and told him he can drive. I went on the police chat and told them he's likely driving and asked they could visit him and they said its not something they do and the only thing they have the power to do is stop him if he's caught driving and impound his car, charge him!
So basically we are now waiting for him to get caught or have an accident! We live over an hour away so don't know when he is or not.
I've also informed his GP of this, nobody seems to want to do anything

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
So basically we are now waiting for him to get caught or have an accident! We live over an hour away so don't know when he is or not.
Can you sabotage the car in some way so that it cant be driven? If he is likely to use a garage can you give them a heads up?
Otherwise, could you persuade him to "lend" it to you so that it isnt temptingly sat on his drive?

It seems awful to have to do this, but better than he has an accident, injures (or worse, kills) someone and then there is no insurance

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Could you visit and someone distract him whilst you do something like remove the battery???? Would that work? I’m not technical so check that won’t damage the car in the long run….

Or can you drive it away under the illusion it has been stolen?

I think all these actions would be lawful under ‘best interesets’ just blame someone else other than yourselves.

He will no doubt be angry and confused but if GP etc see that it doesn’t hurt in the long term.

what a responsibility for you. I was fortunate when mum was told not to drive she accepted me being her chauffeur under the guise she would return to driving when she was ‘better’. She now is unable to get in a car.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Police can investigate if they are informed that someone is driving without insurance but that seems heavy-handed if it gets him into trouble. Reasoning with him is unlikely to work so 'losing' the car keys may be a better option. You'll need to prepare for any repercussions when he blames you but that's better than him continuing to drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil