1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

How do I cope with all the medical appointments?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by fairporter, May 14, 2015.

1. fairporter

fairporter Registered User

Jan 15, 2011
    Coventry
    My father, aged 87, has heart disease, had a minor stroke, has possible glaucoma and now Alzheimer's. I work part time and I am struggling to take him to all the medical appointments, at least one every week, sometimes2 or 3. I am his only child and he relies on me as he doesn't remember what the doctor said. I have to take careful notes to keep up to date myself as it all gets very complicated.

Is there anywhere I can get help with this?

2. fredsnail

fredsnail Registered User

Dec 21, 2008
    Are the appointments at the same place ie hospital?

I wonder if you could ask for the appointments to take place on the same day rather than have 3 trips?

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Any chance of getting them at a hospital closer to you? Our main hospital is 25 miles away, but many of the consultants do a surgery at the local cottage hospital, only 4 miles away. They also do X-ray, physio and things like that. The cardiologist does one at a healthcentre about 13 miles away. Would be worth asking.

4. susy

susy Registered User

Jul 29, 2013
    North East
    Anyone know of any service out there that has a person that can step in and take the sufferer in?
    Does your dad get a copy of the letter sent to the GP about the visit and what was concluded? It usually takes a few weeks after the visit to get it? This is standard practice at our hospital. At least if they did this you might get to understand (although later) what is actually going on.

5. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Have you got an Age UK sitting service in your area? They told me they also take people to appointments. Worth asking.

6. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    There must be some sort of service for people who do not have anyone to take them, and can't manage public transport. For several years I used to give lifts for a volunteer org. that provided them for such people, and there were a lot. However nobody I took had dementia - just mostly frail elderly. So that sort of arrangement would not solve the problem of knowing what the dr said. I never sat in on appts and was never asked to.

I would ask his GP and the hospital about any lift service - all our 'lifts' were referred by someone official - but presumably this sort of thing could be problematical for someone with dementia, since they would have to remember a) the appointment, and b) to get ready in time.