How do I convince my Mum to seek help?

SeekingSupport

Aug 20, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this and after reading through some of these threads feel that perhaps someone may be able to advise me how best to get my Mum the support that I think she needs.

I'll start at the very beginning... my Mum is 73 has always been very outgoing and chatty (personality traits that I'm proud to have inherited from her). She fell ill with pneumonia and suffered a pulmonary embolism approx 5 years ago which resulted in a lengthy stay in ICU. Physically she has made a relatively good recovery but she does not appear to have returned to her former glory. Whilst I guess an element of this is expected after what she has been through I hoped that time would be a healer. She is now extremely introverted and spends a lot of time watching tv - she's says she is content to sit quietly. She lives at home with my Dad who is becoming increasingly frustrated with her lack of motivation and more recently her forgetful ways. She asks my Dad for confirmation of almost everything these days and on the few occasions I have commented about her memory she becomes defensive and changes the subject. She has started swearing a lot and for a christian woman this has been a shock. This along with forgetting her own birthday, leaving the front door wide open often and a complete refusal to answer the phone is causing increased concern (these are only a few examples). My Dad is burying his head in the sand about this and its evident that he is struggling with the change in his wife and also her erratic behaviour so I did convince her to come to see the GP with me a while ago. When at the surgery, she was like a changed woman and I know she told a few porkies to the GP when she was questioned. The GP told her to come back if she had any concerns in future which she has not done nor mentioned since. I feel it is important that she is not pressured into seeking help and I do not want to undermine her in any way as she is the wisest woman I know but its killing me to see her as a mere shadow of her former self and I don't know how to approach this without hurting her. Can anyone relate and offer advice or is there any guidance available? Sorry for the lengthy intro however it feels good to write this down instead of it whirling around my head.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @SeekingSupport, welcome to TP. I hope you find the forum to be a supportive place. No need to apologise for a long post.

The things you outline are certainly seen in dementia, however, they can also be seen in other conditions and it is for this reason that a diagnosis is important. Many people get a parent to the GP by making contact with the surgery with written details of the symptoms and asking that the GP issues an invitation for a well woman type appointment to disguise the real purpose.

There is an AS Factsheet about diagnosis and you can have a read at it by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...nloads/factsheet_assessment_and_diagnosis.pdf

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
One question. How is her personal hygiene?
Do you know, is she washing/bathing her self. Do not ask her, ask dad on the quiet. Also changing clothes.
Write a letter to her GP, stating your concerns, (in bullet point format) maybe a "Older persons Health Check" might be in order. To avoid her concern, dad should have the same invite.

Bod

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
You may have not heard of “host/hostess” it’s a manner that our loved ones can exhibit when necessary, they can, suddenly, appear normal. Chatty, responsive, even appropriate. They deflect questions they cannot answer, and to people that do not appreciate this, they are “normal”.
Porkies are part of this put up show, “I’m fine”.

It takes a toll, afterwards they revert to previous manners.

Write down things you feel are problems, and as @Bod has suggested, let the GP know

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, I am glad that you have come to TP to share your concerns. So much support relies on a diagnosis, so it is worth you using a strategy of some kind to get your mum to a GP who has been forewarned. It is such a common problem that the person who has problems can present as completely healthy, much to the frustration of their relatives!

SeekingSupport

Aug 20, 2018
Good Morning

Would like to express my thanks for your kind words and advice. I contacted the dr in advance and we went for check up yesterday. My Mum is having a blood test today and has another appointment for a memory test soon. Guess we have really got the ball rolling now... It does come as a relief but I guess that is bitter sweet as we have a long road ahead that will lead god knows where. All I know is that I'm proud of how brave she is and will continue to be, always. Thank you once again from the bottom of my heart

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@SeekingSupport glad you've managed to get the ball rolling. Is your mum OK about going to memory clinic appointments etc? It is an uphill struggle with my mum, but we're getting there.
I've been keeping a bullet point diary and printing it off to give to any of the professionals we meet on this journey. Mum is very good at the 'hostess' mode too. You have to spend a while with her to realise how awry things really are, but the diary certainly helps. Using it her doctor managed to ask the right questions to satisfy himself that she needed further investigations doing.