How do I add a quote to my post?

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi everyone
Is there somewhere on this site that can help me with a problem.
It is very minor but frustrating.
How do you add a quote from a previous thread to your own post?
There have been a few occasions where I would like to quote from a previous thread but have tried a few things and nothing seems to work.
If this can't be answered on here could someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Kim

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
At the bottom right of every post is button marked quote. Like this

Picture 4.png

Now when you press that button you get a new reply box with the entire post in it with what are called "tags" around it .

Like so

Picture 5.png

You can delete some of this quote but you need to be sure to leave the tags intact

Picture 6.png

This will display in your post like this

You can then add anything you want just like a normal reply.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
I find it a lot easier to highlight the wording you wish to quote, click on the "wrap (quote) around selected text" square which is 4th from the left on the top of the reply block you are writing in,paste in between the quote bracket and then carry on writing at the end of the quote brackets.

Hope this make sense, I find it difficult to explain but easy to do.

Take care

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Just practising with your 'wrap' suggestion!!

click on the "wrap (quote) around selected text" square which is 4th from the left on the top of the reply block you are writing in,paste in between the quote bracket and then carry on writing at the end of the quote brackets.

Izzy x

I think it works!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
The one thing that is slightly better about using the actual Quote button is that it will tell you who said it and put in a link to the original post where the quote occurred.

If you click on the yellow arrow below, you should see what I mean:

If it's a short thread without too many people taking part, it's not much of an advantage, but on a busy thread it can be helpful.

You can also use this method to post a quote from one thread onto another.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Still practising!

The one thing that is slightly better about using the actual Quote button is that it will tell you who said it and put in a link to the original post where the quote occurred.

If you click on the yellow arrow below, you should see what I mean:

If it's a short thread without too many people taking part, it's not much of an advantage, but on a busy thread it can be helpful.

You can also use this method to post a quote from one thread onto another.

I'd never realised what the yellow arrow was for! Thanks.

Izzy