• They live in a care home

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • They live in our home and I/we care for them

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • I/We live in their home and care for them

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • They live in their own home and I/we help them

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • They live in their own home but I/we live too far away to be directly involved in caring for them.

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Please don't think I'm being invasive here! I so, please send me a Private Message! I am interested to see how others' situations compare with my own.

Remember, these polls are entirely anonymous.

Some people like myself have a wife - or other relative - who has dementia, and where they now live in a care home of some sort.

Others have managed to continue to care for the person in their own home, or the person has moved in with the carer.

Yet another group care for someone at a distance - the person still lives at home, either on their own, or with someone else, but needs frequent visits and help.

Finally, there is a group where the person knows the relative or close friend has a problem of dementia, but they live far away, perhaps even in a different country, and it is not possible to do any hands-on caring at all.

I have no idea how many people fall into each of these groups and there will be other situations that are not covered in the poll questions.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Nat

as usual you are completely correct, but it is not possible to amend the questions once a poll has been posted and rather than confuse things by deleteing and reposting the poll, our exchange of posts will serve to clarify the situation!

I take ages trying to find the words for the questions, and this one was particularly difficult.

One point by the way, though I suppose that people who fitted the category wouldn't be on TP in the first place..... many residents of care homes get very little care or visits from relatives. Perhaps a bland question such as I posed covers them too.....

I find the partnership of caring with Jan's home is particularly key.

deva

Oct 6, 2005
HOw is care arranged?

My mother is in hospital, waiting (interminably) for a suitable residential care home with nursing. Therefore it was difficult to answer this question accurately. So I chose where we were pre-July 2005 for the last four years.
Deva

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi
My parents could no longer manage to live in their own home, so I bought a residential park home and put it in my garden, so although they don't actually live in my home they are near at hand and can wander down to see me, whenever. Mum and Dad have AD.
On the other hand my Mother- in- Law, who also has AD lives approx 150 miles away, although not as advanced in the disease as my parents, we know we will have to do something about her vulnerabilty, sooner rather than later and are working towards bringing her here to be near us.
alfjess

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother lived in her own home and I spent most of my time for her last 7 months staying with her or travelling between her house and mine.

Lila

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
where do we care

We're both 72 and I manage to care for my husband at home with hospital day centre care for 3 days a week. I also have 7-10 days respite care every few months but that is only since January.
Things are getting harder at night as he will doze so much during the evening that he gets up again soon after going to bed. I find this hardest of all,having broken sleep.
We are lucky to have a family who take us out in their cars when they have time.
At the moment I can't visual full time Home Care although I put his illness at 6 going on 7. I will carry on as long as I'm able.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Bless you mocha, you are doing a grand job.

Caring is never easy, and caring at home takes a particular toll. Look after yourself,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman