How can we tell if it is Mum’s last days?

Eldest Daughter2

Oct 17, 2020
Mum is 88, She was diagnosed with Dementia about 8 yrs. The lock down has seen her really deteriorate. Dad (89) has struggled recently to cope. They have both been tested positive for Covid. We have moved them into live with us. Mums Covid symptoms have only been a slight cough.
Mum hardly eats or drinks. I weighed her at 5st 4lbs. She looked as though she had a yellow tinge to her complexion this morning. She sleeps most of the day and all of the night. We haven’t a clue What to expect next. Do we just watch her deteriorate each day? Will we ever be able to take her out? How long do we have left with her? I would be so grateful for any advice or knowledge that can help us.
Thank you for reading
keep safe

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Eldest Daughter2
a warm welcome to DTP

what a worrying time for you

it's difficult for any of us to answer your questions, not being in your shoes ... you clearly are concerned, so please do contact your GP and let them know your mum's situation and your worries, they need to check her over

it may be that Admiral Nurses could give you support

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree with shedrech - get the GP to check her over in case there is anything else going on.

I have talked to the Admiral Nurses on the phone and found them very helpful.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Mums Covid symptoms have only been a slight cough.
Mum hardly eats or drinks. I weighed her at 5st 4lbs. She looked as though she had a yellow tinge to her complexion this morning. She sleeps most of the day and all of the night.

Welcome to the forum @Eldest Daughter2 Those with dementia do not necessarily display the 'usual' symptoms of covid and the symptoms you have described - not eating/drinking, sleeping more and signs of jaundice - may all be signs that the covid is more severe than thought. As already suggested, seek medical advice - if you ring 111 they will conduct an initial assessment over the phone and provide you with appropriate advice.

Eldest Daughter2

Oct 17, 2020
Welcome to the forum @Eldest Daughter2 Those with dementia do not necessarily display the 'usual' symptoms of covid and the symptoms you have described - not eating/drinking, sleeping more and signs of jaundice - may all be signs that the covid is more severe than thought. As already suggested, seek medical advice - if you ring 111 they will conduct an initial assessment over the phone and provide you with appropriate advice.
Thank you For your comments I will ring the GP tomorrow