How can we speed the Social Workers up.

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
My Father has dementia.

We contacted our current social worker as matters are progressing out of our control and abilities.

The social worker that we have has referred us to a more experienced social worker and is supposed to be contacting us soon?

This evening my Father soiled himself severely and refused, by way of threatening actions, to allow anyone to help clean him. The smell is in the house and not pleasant. I can't think of anything that we can do to get him to let us clean him.

We're struggling to cope and, literally, don't know what to do.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the above and to also speed the social worker process up?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Chasing, chasing and more chasing. If you don't contact them, they think you are happy to wait until other, apparently more urgent cases are dealt with!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Tell Dad's GP about the new changes, Dad may have a UTI or similar. The Incontinence Clinic can also be accessed via the GP for advice. Also you could ask the GP for help re the SW.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with both answers. Sadly, your experience is all too common. You have to let them know that you are struggling and that you're not going away.

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks

I appreciate you responding to my post.

We've been in contact with the Alzheimer's Society, they're a good source of information.

I think that we either need to ask our GP to help speed things up or contact the Social Worker personally, especially after what we were greeted with this morning.

My father must have been to the toilet last night, when everyone was in bed. To cut a long story short, mess had been walked into virtually every other room that was not being slept in.

It's taken us most of the day to steam and clean everything.

I'm nearly 50 with rheumatoid arthritis and my Mum is 75 and finds it hard to get around. We definitely need something urgently.

Many thanks.

JLSW

Jul 23, 2015
Persistence and being proactive

Hi,

If you have the name of the allocated social worker then keep calling social services and asking to speak to that person; leave messages as often as possible with updates on the situation and crucially, the impact this is having on you and your mum - mention phrases like 'carer breakdown', 'vulnerable adult' and any risky behaviour with regards to your father, i.e. not allowing any personal care which could lead to infections, any aggression or agitation he is displaying etc.

You have to speak their jargon. When you speak to the social worker or they come to assess your father, request a carers assessment as well.

Also demonstrate that you are being proactive so definitely get the GP to make a referral to social services as well as asking for the district nurses to visit and / or a continence service assessment.

Has your father been referred to / been assessed by the memory clinic? If not ask the GP to make the referral to them. If he is already known to them, ask for a review.

Keep trying and eventually you will succeed; social workers prioritise cases based on the information they are provided, so make sure you give the full picture as often as possible!

Good luck

JLSW