1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

    Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

    Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

How can we speed the Social Workers up.

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Hindy, Oct 6, 2015.

  1. Hindy

    Hindy Registered User

    Jul 31, 2014
    My Father has dementia.

    We contacted our current social worker as matters are progressing out of our control and abilities.

    The social worker that we have has referred us to a more experienced social worker and is supposed to be contacting us soon?

    This evening my Father soiled himself severely and refused, by way of threatening actions, to allow anyone to help clean him. The smell is in the house and not pleasant. I can't think of anything that we can do to get him to let us clean him.

    We're struggling to cope and, literally, don't know what to do.

    Does anyone have a suggestion for the above and to also speed the social worker process up?
  2. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
    Chasing, chasing and more chasing. If you don't contact them, they think you are happy to wait until other, apparently more urgent cases are dealt with!
  3. cragmaid

    cragmaid Registered User

    Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Tell Dad's GP about the new changes, Dad may have a UTI or similar. The Incontinence Clinic can also be accessed via the GP for advice. Also you could ask the GP for help re the SW.
  4. stanleypj

    stanleypj Registered User

    Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    I agree with both answers. Sadly, your experience is all too common. You have to let them know that you are struggling and that you're not going away.
  5. Hindy

    Hindy Registered User

    Jul 31, 2014

    I appreciate you responding to my post.

    We've been in contact with the Alzheimer's Society, they're a good source of information.

    I think that we either need to ask our GP to help speed things up or contact the Social Worker personally, especially after what we were greeted with this morning.

    My father must have been to the toilet last night, when everyone was in bed. To cut a long story short, mess had been walked into virtually every other room that was not being slept in.

    It's taken us most of the day to steam and clean everything.

    I'm nearly 50 with rheumatoid arthritis and my Mum is 75 and finds it hard to get around. We definitely need something urgently.

    Many thanks.

  6. JLSW

    JLSW Registered User

    Jul 23, 2015
    Persistence and being proactive


    If you have the name of the allocated social worker then keep calling social services and asking to speak to that person; leave messages as often as possible with updates on the situation and crucially, the impact this is having on you and your mum - mention phrases like 'carer breakdown', 'vulnerable adult' and any risky behaviour with regards to your father, i.e. not allowing any personal care which could lead to infections, any aggression or agitation he is displaying etc.

    You have to speak their jargon. When you speak to the social worker or they come to assess your father, request a carers assessment as well.

    Also demonstrate that you are being proactive so definitely get the GP to make a referral to social services as well as asking for the district nurses to visit and / or a continence service assessment.

    Has your father been referred to / been assessed by the memory clinic? If not ask the GP to make the referral to them. If he is already known to them, ask for a review.

    Keep trying and eventually you will succeed; social workers prioritise cases based on the information they are provided, so make sure you give the full picture as often as possible!

    Good luck


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.