How can I stop him screaming?

SmokeyJane

Dec 9, 2014
My husband has vascular dementia. Recently he has started shouting, howling and screaming as well as talking and swearing to himself. He screams at cars in the street and yells and howls in the house, usually when he is in a room alone but sometimes when I am in the room too. It has been suggested that he should take Memantine. Does anyone have any experience of this drug, or have any advice as to how I cope with this distressing behaviour.

SmokeyJane

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello Smokey Jane and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's behaviour. It must very distressing. I have no personal experience of using Memantine in this kind of circumstance but I'm sure others will be along soon to share their experiences.

My initial feeling is that it might be a good idea to try it to see if he can get some relief from these symptoms.

I wondered if these fact sheets would be of any interest to you -

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=96

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=94

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My husband has vascular dementia. Recently he has started shouting, howling and screaming as well as talking and swearing to himself. He screams at cars in the street and yells and howls in the house, usually when he is in a room alone but sometimes when I am in the room too. It has been suggested that he should take Memantine. Does anyone have any experience of this drug, or have any advice as to how I cope with this distressing behaviour.

SmokeyJane

Hi SmokeyJane

I have no idea if Memantine might help but just wondered if you have tried any tactics, at home, e.g having some soothing music playing in the house or if he is alone. Or something that he maybe used to like? Sorry if it doesn't work but just a thought.
Best wishes
Sue:)

Demonica66

Oct 23, 2014
Hi, my mum was hugely challenging, violent and unsettled due to her Vascular Dementia. She has been receiving Mementine for 2 months now, and is a changed lady. It has enabled her to stay in her care home, rather than be placed in a secure dementia unit. I say, give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015

SmokeyJane

Hi Smokey-Jane,

My dad does this too when he is in a room alone. He tells mum it is to remind her that he is there. He doesn't usually do it when someone is in the room with him, but when he does he is usually trying to get our attention to express something he can't explain that is upsetting him, like it is too hot, or he needs a drink. For this reason, I haven't sought to stop it because I felt it was important for him to be able to express distress if he had to and that was the only way he could communicate it to us.

LS