How can family caregivers be better supported?

ou1993

Apr 12, 2020
Good morning everyone.

I am a student at the Open University. My late nan had dementia and I am currently working on a project about looking at ways to support family caregivers.

If anyone is able to share their experience and suggest how you could have been better supported as a caregiver, I would be very grateful.

What would have a difference to you? How could you have been better supported as a caregiver looking after a loved one?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to the forum.

Wishing you well with your project.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @ou1993
Welcome to DTP

I honestly think the best thing you could do is sit down for a few hours and read as many of the posts on here as you can

Press the What's New button scroll to the bottom, press see more and go to page 10 and read from there

Then read all the threads in the researchr/student forum your thread is in to see what others have considered

There is also the main As site, through the button extreme top right

And look at other sites eg

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
@Shedrech makes a good suggestion. I think one of the problems carers have is that there is still a misconception that people with dementia are in a benignly confused state and that caring for them is just dealing with that. Many carers have to deal with so much more, as you will see from reading some of the posts. Dementia is heartbreaking in any case but it can also be alarming, mentally and physically exhausting, terrifying, even dangerous, and messy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour