How’s this for weird ..

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Razz, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Razz

Razz New member

Oct 13, 2017
    I’m currently on holiday with my mum who has dementia with Alzheimer’s. My mum has lived with me and my family for 2 years . She loves her holidays and we have been away 5 times in 1 and half years . It keeps her going knowing she is going abroad on holiday . I’m writing this to actually highlight what can happen and that I did not expect to happen and also it may give you a laugh , well
    sort of. Currently I’m away with my mum in Lanzarote, we had a long day getting here and actually it is now way too much for my mum . This morning I tried to wake her and get her up for breakfast at 9 am as she had had11 hours sleep . Big mistake .. mother was very strange when I woke her . She thought she was a ghost .. she did not know her name as of course ghosts don’t have names , would not get washed and dressed as ghosts didn’t do that and she did not know who I was ... she was v delusional. I was getting g c worried she seriously thought she was a ghost . So got her back to bed , she slept for another 4 and half hours then woke up fine . All very strange ,I’ll let her wake in her own now and see dr when we get home . Been v worrying but wondered if anyone else had experienced similar ?

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Hi @Razz

What a worry! My dad used to get more confused when he was tired and some days he could sleep a lot and still be tired. He never thought he was a ghost though!!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.