Housing

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
I've finally convinced my mum to move back to the UK so I can help with dad's care and share the load of it all. I'm so chuffed about that - it's taken a while to convince her that's best but finally in the past 10 days or so she's come round and has agreed that coming over will be the best thing for dad and for her.

So I've spent a few days trying to find some private accommodation to rent (I would absolutely have them with me if I could but there are stairs a-go-go in my flat and dad's now in a wheelchair) but as soon as I mention I'm renting for someone with a wheelchair I get the cold shoulder. I literally had one agent lie and say he had no properties on his books - I said what about all those listed online? And he says oh, they're gone already. Conveniently. All of them.

I'm so angry! Sorry, just had to vent. Have no idea what to do if I can't find them somewhere to stay!

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Sadly many disabled people share your pain on this one. There is a great lack of accessible properties.
If you have a local disability organisation, might be worth contacting them for advice. I would also say, look carefully at any property described as accessible, as most people don't know what is accessible or not - until they have to through personal experience. You may have to consider minor adaptions (bathroom/wet room, door widening). Bungalows?
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Helly68 it's so frustrating! That's good advice, thank you. I'm definitely going to view the property first (if I ever get round to finding any they'll let me view!)

I think I'm most angry by the fact that the ones I looked at are accessible (I live right next door so scoped it out) but the estate agents are, I think, suddenly pretending they're off the market. They became quite offhand as soon as I mentioned the wheelchair :(

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Kay111
I haven't rented in a long while, so don't know what a prospective tenant has to disclose ... do you have to tell anyone that your dad is a wheelchair user? ... I don't see what bearing it would have on whether or not someone will be a good tenant, though maybe there are legalities involved on whether the property is suitable

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Do you actually need to mention the wheelchair if you have scoped the property beforehand and know it is suitable? It's not right if estate agents are deliberately barring wheelchair users but is mentioning it to them when you don't need to possibly making them think there might be a problem?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You certainly wouldn't need to disclose the wheelchair issue before you even view, if it needs disclosing at all it would be closer to when you sign paperwork. You could just say the person is disabled if you need to mention the need for easy access.

I agree though it would help to get in touch with your local disability organisation to see if they can help.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Shedrech @Louise7 that's what my other half said too! I was just being a bit dim but it didn't even occur to me it'd be an issue from just a "tenant desirability" (!) point of view. I'm not sure about the legalities of what you have to disclose. I mentioned it to this agent as he said he had a property over 2 floors, and so I mentioned the wheelchair.

To be honest, dad will barely move in the flat these days so I'm sure it'll be no worse than having rowdy students or whatever (I say that as someone who has been a rowdy student in the past!)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm trying to think what the issue is with a wheelchair - worried about damage to floors? Noise? (can't think it's any noisier than feet). But I think if you just stick to saying the person is disabled/can't manage stairs, you might have more luck - depressing you need to do that, of course, and I am sure they aren't allowed to discriminate in this way.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Hmmmmm. how annoying. I suppose if you think they may be accessible, don't mention the wheelchair and visit.......
It is tough as a private rental as you wouldn't able to change things and I have no idea of private landlords have any responsibilities in these areas. Sadly I suspect it is a landlord's market....might be worth seeing if any sheltered or extra care facilities have short term lets.
Could you get the services of a private or council OT or social worker? You might have to pay but their advice might be worth it.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Sirena I had a quick google and it's very depressing. On landlord's forums someone pops up and says "i have a prospective wheelchair tenant, do you think it's a good idea?" and all the rest are like you might be liable to make modifications, the walls might get scuffed, the floors might get dented - steer clear!" :(

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Helly68 yeah, I might keep quiet from now on :( I'm really kicking myself. One of the flats would have been perfect as it has a wetroom bathroom already! :( :( The agents' attitude has really made me so angry.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I have a long term disability (in addition to being my Mum's carer) and attitudes are still awful, I try not to think about them too much. Under the Equalities Act, organisations are supposed to make "reasonable adjustments" but this is easier said than done and small companies often aren't even aware.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Sirena I had a quick google and it's very depressing. On landlord's forums someone pops up and says "i have a prospective wheelchair tenant, do you think it's a good idea?" and all the rest are like you might be liable to make modifications, the walls might get scuffed, the floors might get dented - steer clear!" :(

Oh dear :(
I hadn't thought about a requirement to make modifications, but I can see that could be offputting for a landlord.

My mother was in a rented flat where she had lived for about 50 years, and I avoided telling her landlord she had dementia until shortly before she left. I thought they might have some kind of health and safety issues (and actually I wouldn't have blamed them, since she did almost set fire to the kitchen). That doesn't apply to your parents of course, different issues.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Helly68 some people's attitudes really stink :( I hope it's changing over time (but not quickly enough!)

@Sirena oh my goodness, I hope the fire didn't get too out of control!! maybe I need to speak to an OT as Helly suggested. Mum is convinced they won't need any modifications as Dad barely moves these days. I think we'll be getting a portable hoist in the very near future, but other than that he just sits and gets wheeled about from A to B. Mum does all his personal care etc.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm not sure about the eligibility criteria regards having lived in the area for a period, but have you asked the local authority about extra care housing. We rent a place that is specially adapted for limited mobility and several tenants have wheelchairs. Your dad would have to accept care support from an agency though.
Good luck Kay.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Would sheltered accomodation be an option?My parents moved in to extra care accomodation,it was fully accessible,even the kitchen worktops were lower for wheelchair users

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@nae sporran & @notsogooddtr - I have to be honest, I haven't looked into that properly. When speaking to mum she's really wanting as little local authority type input as possible. She has it in her head that they'll take over and she won't have any independence etc in deciding what's best for dad. To be honest, I have no idea what it would be like on that front, I've no experience in how right she is on that. So the vague plan was to rent a place for a year privately and get in carers privately for that year - and that would give mum a bit of a breather, and some time to think about next steps, but also feel like she's 100% in charge of how she's going to care for dad. TBH it was the best I could negotiate for!

I did have a very quick look at some sheltered accommodation near me but you had to have a local connection etc, so I thought it might all be like that.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
@Helly68 yeah, I might keep quiet from now on :( I'm really kicking myself. One of the flats would have been perfect as it has a wetroom bathroom already! :( :( The agents' attitude has really made me so angry.

did you meet the agent or just speak over the phone ie would they recognise you ... if not, might you contact again using your mum's details, as I assume she will be signing any paperwork, and be vague about details ... unless you have to, I don't see why your dad's situation need be disclosed