Housing development

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
Last year we planned to move house purely because our home was to be in the middle of plans for large new housing development.
We have lived for 22 years in our house, my parents live in the house with us all this time.

Unfortunately, the house sale and purchase fell through and as my dad’s health was declining and the development was probably, at that time 3 years away, we decided to stay and reorganise the living accommodation to better suit dads needs.

It is now likely the housing will start next year.

This will impact us in that we currently live in a mostly single file traffic country lane. The lane will be closed either side our house and new access will be created through a housing estate at the front of approximately 235 houses. There is a bus terminus at the front of the property as buses can’t get along the remaining joining lane. The houses behind will be about 40 properties. The side of our house is the new connection road.
there is a privately owned field on the other side and then a neighbour house.

I obviously have no control of this. How do I manage my parents dementia? I think it is going to make them isolated and I think all the noise and disruption will be difficult. There’s so much development in our area and some of the new roads to the hospital already confuse them.

any suggestions? Thank you .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Anon33

I`ve no idea how you will manage navigation for your parents and can understand how worried you are.

As I read your post, I just wondered if your parents might find the comings and goings interesting enough to occupy them.

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
My mum is very distressed particularly about the loss of a large oak tree.
Mums distress causes my dad a great deal of anxiety. So that in itself will be hard on them.

It is all such an uncertainty. Thank you for replying. I sort of know already there aren’t any answers to this but I felt I had to put it out there.