Housing advice

Dilemma3000

Oct 14, 2017
Hi I’m new to this group my dad was diagnosed several years ago with mixed dementia. I need to get him moved from his 2 bed council home into a 1 bed flat near myself as he’s forgetting to take his medication etc I’ve been given a form for medical needs but unsure how I get the information needed as he doesn’t have an occupational nurse yet? TIA

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Hi I’m new to this group my dad was diagnosed several years ago with mixed dementia. I need to get him moved from his 2 bed council home into a 1 bed flat near myself as he’s forgetting to take his medication etc I’ve been given a form for medical needs but unsure how I get the information needed as he doesn’t have an occupational nurse yet? TIA
Yes the GP should be able to do the form.
He/she will probably charge a fee though.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Dilemma3000
and welcome from me too
do you have Power of Attorney for Health & Welfare? - I appreciate that strictly it doesn't come into force until the donor no longer has capacity, but it may show the GP that your dad wants you to be involved in all aspects of his health and welfare and so give you a print out of your dad's overall records eg his medication and diagnosis
of course your dad himself has every right to ask for sight/copies of his medical records, so he could ask the GP - might you both visit together to have a chat with the GP and explain what's going on; it would also be a chance to up date the GP on how things are currently for your dad
I don't see why the GP would charge for this - I guess you have to check that with the surgery - though if the GP fills in the form themselves, I guess that's additional to his general duties

I do wonder whether it may be worth considering a move to sheltered and more especially extra care sheltered accommodation if any is available - your dad's condition won't improve and moves can be disorientating (not always) so it may be worth considering

best wishes

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
hello Dilemma3000
and welcome from me too
do you have Power of Attorney for Health & Welfare? - I appreciate that strictly it doesn't come into force until the donor no longer has capacity, but it may show the GP that your dad wants you to be involved in all aspects of his health and welfare and so give you a print out of your dad's overall records eg his medication and diagnosis
of course your dad himself has every right to ask for sight/copies of his medical records, so he could ask the GP - might you both visit together to have a chat with the GP and explain what's going on; it would also be a chance to up date the GP on how things are currently for your dad
I don't see why the GP would charge for this - I guess you have to check that with the surgery - though if the GP fills in the form themselves, I guess that's additional to his general duties

I do wonder whether it may be worth considering a move to sheltered and more especially extra care sheltered accommodation if any is available - your dad's condition won't improve and moves can be disorientating (not always) so it may be worth considering

best wishes
hello Dilemma3000
and welcome from me too

best wishes
Maybe it's just our surgery that charges. I do know that ( when we ask for medical reports for our Citizens Advice Bureau clients) the local GPS want £30 - £60 per report - and this is for clients who are on benefits! Mum was asked for a fee for the doc completing a form for her holiday cancellation.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Havemercy
I take your point about actually filling in the form
the information on anyone's medical record, though, should be freely available to the patient themselves ie her dad, for Dilemma3000 to fill in the form - trickier if her dad is resistant to contacting the GP

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
hi Havemercy
I take your point about actually filling in the form
the information on anyone's medical record, though, should be freely available to the patient themselves ie her dad, for Dilemma3000 to fill in the form - trickier if her dad is resistant to contacting the GP
When mum wanted to move from her two bedroomed house to a ground floor flat because she had had several falls, we had to get the GP to complete the medical form. There was no problems - he knew her history - we got the form from the local council housing department and GP completed it and sent it off. We had to wait a few weeks for the Housing Panel to make a decision and it was successful. However I do wish mum had gone into Extra Care housing - where carers are on site if needed. We don't have that facility nearby unfortunately, and she still wanted to be near me and her friends. Many local councils/social housing organisations do run Extra Care though and I think they are brilliant. Maybe Dilemma could ring the Housing department and find out if they are in the area her parent wants to live.

sarah_k

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe it's just our surgery that charges. I do know that ( when we ask for medical reports for our Citizens Advice Bureau clients) the local GPS want £30 - £60 per report - and this is for clients who are on benefits! Mum was asked for a fee for the doc completing a form for her holiday cancellation.

How disgusting, daylight robbery!