Housebound Vaccines

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hi all,

I was wondering what your experiences were with getting housebound vaccinations?

My dad was invited to a hub nearly a month ago but couldn't get there safely (he's hoisted etc). I called the GP straight away to make sure he's on their housebound list. Weeks later, we've not heard a thing and when I politely call the GP I'm bounced from pillar to post saying "we'll put him on the list".

I appreciate it's quite a mammoth job, logistically. But the communication has been so poor, it's causing a lot of anxiety as we worry that though he is in a priority group, that group has been considered "ticked off" and is no longer a priority in reality. Dad doesn't get out but it's my mum I worry about who is his fulltime carer - we're desperately waiting for dad to get his jab so we feel safe enough to get carers back in. Mum has had 5 days off caring for dad since March. Whenever she turns on the news it's just that "we've hit our over 70s target! onwards!" and it's causing her a lot of anxiety that dad won't get his for ages.

I just wondered what your experiences were? Is this quite a largescale problem?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi all,

I was wondering what your experiences were with getting housebound vaccinations?

My dad was invited to a hub nearly a month ago but couldn't get there safely (he's hoisted etc). I called the GP straight away to make sure he's on their housebound list. Weeks later, we've not heard a thing and when I politely call the GP I'm bounced from pillar to post saying "we'll put him on the list".

I appreciate it's quite a mammoth job, logistically. But the communication has been so poor, it's causing a lot of anxiety as we worry that though he is in a priority group, that group has been considered "ticked off" and is no longer a priority in reality. Dad doesn't get out but it's my mum I worry about who is his fulltime carer - we're desperately waiting for dad to get his jab so we feel safe enough to get carers back in. Mum has had 5 days off caring for dad since March. Whenever she turns on the news it's just that "we've hit our over 70s target! onwards!" and it's causing her a lot of anxiety that dad won't get his for ages.

I just wondered what your experiences were? Is this quite a largescale problem?
im on the housebound list and now been put on shielding list. so not sure now. the housebound team is separate from my GPs so have to be referred to them. can you email the practice manager as thats how i deal with things rather than going through the receptionists.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hi @jennifer1967 - unfortunately it seems like our GP aren't doing the vaccinations themselves, it's gone to a PCN so there's a bit of a gap there for things to fall through. :( Have had a look and it seems to be quite a problem -

I know at least one London MP has raised it with Michael Gove (unfortunately not my MP yet but here's hoping)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi @jennifer1967 - unfortunately it seems like our GP aren't doing the vaccinations themselves, it's gone to a PCN so there's a bit of a gap there for things to fall through. :( Have had a look and it seems to be quite a problem -

I know at least one London MP has raised it with Michael Gove (unfortunately not my MP yet but here's hoping)
that what i explained. my gp practice doesnt do housebound anything it gets referred to the housebound team and takes longer. ive waited coming up to 3 weeks for just a blood test. they are also getting paid extra for jabs to housebound. im only 53 but before today i was in cat 6 with unpaid carers and underlying illnesses

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Oh sorry, I didn't quite realise that the PCN team that I was directed to was the same as a housebound team. I thought it was a specific covid "roving" team.

I hope you get your bloodtests soon. 3 weeks is a long time to wait. :(

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Oh sorry, I didn't quite realise that the PCN team that I was directed to was the same as a housebound team. I thought it was a specific covid "roving" team.

I hope you get your bloodtests soon. 3 weeks is a long time to wait. :(
that another housebound lobotomists it took a week for the gp to give permission for them to refer to the team. only for my diabetes

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i emailed the practice manage at GP and i am now getting my jab from housebound list as she gave me permission and it wont be long as they are doing the last few now. im very relieved and she is asking gp to see if she could put my on the housebound list. pays to email practice manager as she has it sorted in minutes rather than waiting

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
We are lucky as we have now had visit from the district nurse and dad has now had his vaccine. I commented on another thread (last month i think) about dad not having it yet, but he has had his first jab last week!

Anyway, a friend who is housebound and battling a rather horrid condition, meaning she has lost a lot of her mobility, hasn't had her jab yet. She told me that her GP surgery opted out of having district nurses doing the vaccinations, and most homebound patients at the surgery havent had it yet, and she is lower priority because of her age.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew