1. JPrior

    JPrior New member

    Aug 22, 2019
    Hi, new here and new to caring for my mother since my dad died a few months ago.
    My mother has visits from 4 carers a day, partially council funded. I am virtually living at her house as she’s vulnerable and too afraid to be left at night.
    Since being at her home, I’ve found that her house needs extensive repairs: a new roof and rewiring as urgent and then a multitude of other works less urgent but still important. I do have financial power of attorney. The problem is that I doubt if she can afford both a new roof and rewiring. I have no money or any chance of getting s loan. My question is, should I inform social services that the house isn’t safe? Would they be able to provide some kind of loan against the house for at least the electrics to make the house safe for her? The rewiring is a fire hazard and roof leaks and may be causing structural damage. I have arranged for a new roof to be fitted as soon as possible but it will probably leave her unable to afford the electrician to rewire. I’m really worried. Thanks in advance :).
  2. Louise7

    Louise7 Registered User

    Mar 25, 2016
    Welcome to the forum. As your Mum's care is being partially council funded I'm assuming that her income and savings are low? I'd suggest contacting social services to request a new care needs assessment. The maximum amount of carer visits they fund is usually four a day but from what you say your Mum also needs care at night so a new care needs assessment will enable you to raise this with social services. You don't mention your own personal circumstances but practically living with your Mum and spending every night there is going to take a toll on you and may not be sustainable long term. You need to think seriously about whether this is something that you can continue to do long term or are just doing on a temporary basis as it sounds as if your Mum requires 24hr care now so the potential need for a care home may not be far off.

    At the care needs assessment you will also be able to let them know that her living environment is potentially dangerous and speak to them about the repairs needed. As power of attorney you need to spend your Mum's money wisely, particularly as she has to pay towards her care. Could the parts of the roof that are leaking be repaired or does it have to be a whole roof? I don't know if the council would provide a loan for the improvement work but I imagine that they would also factor in that your Mum is contributing towards her care at the moment but may not be in a position to do so if her savings are all spent on home improvements. They can consider some spending as 'deprivation of assets' so it would be better to seek their advice before spending a large amount of your Mum's money on a new roof, and also get a number of estimates with regards to how much the essential work is all going to cost as it sounds like you haven't done this yet. Good luck, but in answer to your question, yes, I think you need to contact social services to discuss your Mum's care needs and her unsafe living environment.
  3. Bod

    Bod Registered User

    Aug 30, 2013
    This is probably not what you want to hear.
    The level of care your mother now needs, can only be given in a Care Home environment. Which means the house will not be required, so could (should be, by the sounds of it) sold to fund the necessary care.
    Mother needs care.
    House is now a liability.
    Put aside any feelings of attachment to the pile of bricks.

  4. Rosettastone57

    Rosettastone57 Registered User

    Oct 27, 2016
    I'm afraid I agree with @Bod. It does sound like your mother needs a whole team to care for her.
  5. JPrior

    JPrior New member

    Aug 22, 2019
    Thank you all, that’s all very good advice. I’ll call Social Services today and raise another care assessment. She’s only been living back at home from hospital for a few months. I was amazed when the social workers refused to consider the care home option and said she’s able to manage at home. Perhaps the state of the house will persuade them. Although I will feel bad for my mother (she’s desperate to stay at home) I am so worried it’s not safe or that she’s getting adequate care.
  6. TNJJ

    TNJJ Registered User

    May 7, 2019
    I hope it went well.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.