House insurance

Mrs M C

Dec 4, 2019
Hi everyone, my mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia earlier in the year and I was wondering whether anyone knows if we are obliged to notify her house insurance about this please?
She also has a key safe and I read somewhere that I need to let them know about this. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums @Mrs M C. I'm not sure about house insurance, we never decalred is and probably should have. Best to speak to your local Police Station though. I forget the name of the one we had in out old house, we are in care housing flat now, and there is only one they recommend.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I didn't occur to me to tell my mother's insurers she had dementia - maybe I should have (she's now in a CH so that is no longer an issue). She had a key safe for the last few months too, it was provided by the council so she got whatever they supplied.

I thought of getting a key safe for us (for a spare key) but the reviews I've read say they are really easy to bypass so I decided against. Thank you for the link Nitram, that one looks a lot more secure, if expensive.

AbigailB

May 5, 2020
I'm almost in the same situation. However, the council isn't providing a free key safe even though I've been told I can get one for free. Looks like I might have to fork out for it myself.

I can't get my head round why there's such a difference in cost in these key safes.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi everyone, my mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia earlier in the year and I was wondering whether anyone knows if we are obliged to notify her house insurance about this please?
She also has a key safe and I read somewhere that I need to let them know about this. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance x
It never occurred to me to notify my mother-in-law 's house insurance about the diagnosis or the key safe. This is the first time I've come across this

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm almost in the same situation. However, the council isn't providing a free key safe even though I've been told I can get one for free. Looks like I might have to fork out for it myself.

I can't get my head round why there's such a difference in cost in these key safes.

I think some of the cheaper ones can be fairly easy to break into. And sometimes the cheaper mechanisms fail fairly quickly.

The one which Nitram linked to above is heavy duty and robust.

Having said that, if the council provided one I suspect it would be the cheaper variety, so if that is all your mother can afford to pay for, I wouldn't worry.