1. TinaT

TinaT Registered User

Sep 27, 2006
    Bolton
    A friend of ours is the partner of a fairly well know satarist who is often on the radio and more rarely on TV. He was doing a radio show tonight in a nearby town. After a lot of arranging younger son was coming down from the Boarders area to pick me and another friend up and we all were going to watch the satarist recording his radio show. I was at a meeting all afternoon, got home at 6pm and we were to leave the house when younger son arrived at 6.30. This would be the first night out I've had in six months.

6.15 I got a call from the Care Home. The smoking room has a sensor on the locked patio doors and the sensor went off in the office. Only Ken and a lady resident ever go into the smoking room. The manageress went into the smoking room to find the door forced wide open. She checked and found the lady resident but couldn't find Ken. She went into the garden area. No sign of him. By this time all the care staff were searching the building for Ken whilst she first checked the garden area again, then ran round the outside of the building to see if he had got over the wall.

She found him on the outside of the building, having squeezed himself through the tiniest gap in the wrought iron gate and was stood on a low wall without his slippers. As she came around the corner he fell off the wall and damaged his foot.

He couldn't walk. She phoned me as they staff have instructions to always phone me if he is injured. She felt he ought to go to Accident and Emergency to get his foot seen by a doctor. I phoned my friend to tell her not to come to my house, then phoned my Younger Son who was by this time on the motorway driving to my house and told him to meet me in Casualty.

I got to the home to find Ken in a wheelchair quite happy, unconcerned, oblivious to all the fuss he had caused and quite unable to remember what had happened.

The manageress and myself got him into my car and off I went to A & E. I left Ken locked in the car whilst I rushed into A & E to get a nurse to help me get him out of the car and into his wheelchair. Has anyone been to A & E at 7.pm on a Friday night? The place was packed to the rafters. The triage nurse saw him and then we waited. Younger Son arrived and got us a coffee, and we waited, and we waited. Two and a half hours later we saw the doctor whe sent us off for Ken's foot to be x rayed. Getting him to keep his foot still and in a certain position was no easy task but the radiologist girl was lovely and we managed two good x rays.

Back to the waiting room again for half an hour where I noticed his one week old new false upper teeth were missing. I phoned the Care Home Manager and she went to look for them where they had picked up his slippers but by this time it was quite dark, so the search for the missing upper teeth has had to be postponed until daylight tomorrow.

The doctor finally saw us again and told us the foot was not broken and to give him pain killers and let him rest it a few days.

I was glad of son's help to get him into the car and back to the nursing home where the care staff gave us a welcome cup of tea and buscuits. We left Ken at 11.30 when the staff got him ready for bed. He was very upset about my leaving and the staff were calming him down as I left.

What a night! I'm beginning to think the staff at A & E will soon reserve a cubicle for Ken as this is the forth time there in 8 months now! Normally I've had to take him to A & E when he has cut or banged his head but it's the first time he has ever done an escaping act.

xxTinaT

2. bigtom

bigtom Registered User

Sep 19, 2009
    bolton lancs
    HI tina so glad ken has no fractures this must have a been good news to you,i hope you have a settled night after all you stress. regards tom

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    So a good night out was had by all Tina. :rolleyes: :)
    Glad nothing is broken but sorry for the change in venue. xx

4. sue38

sue38 Registered User

Mar 6, 2007
    Wigan, Lancs
    Oh the joys of A&E Tina. :rolleyes:

I'm glad nothing is broken, but sorry you missed your night out.

5. sad nell

sad nell Registered User

Tina , sods law isnt it, so sorry you missed your evening out but glad no damage done to Ken, they will have to keep an eye on his movments, trev used to escape. hope the new nashers apppear and are not now being worn by another, glad you had such a good with Norrms and friends love Pam

6. ElaineMaul

ElaineMaul Registered User

Jan 29, 2005
    Hi Tina,

You've reported on that with a certain amount of humour, but it must have been an awlful shock!

I'm glad Ken is OK and hope your own nerves have settled a little?

Elaine

7. Winnie Kjaer

Winnie Kjaer Account Closed

Aug 14, 2009
    Devon
    Have you booked your next evening out at the A & E perhaps it would be a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry you missed the show, but so pleased there was no broken bones. Nice you had your sons support and company, it would have been an awful long evening without. Better luck next time, go on spoil yourself, arrange a rein check.

8. gigi

gigi Registered User

Nov 16, 2007
    East Midlands
    Glad all's well that ends well, Tina..it could have been a lot worse..:eek:

Have they found Ken's teeth yet?

Love xx

9. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    What a scare that was. They'll have to put a better lock on that door for the future.

I'm glad to hear Ken was not upset and his foot was not broken. But you must have been so shattered afterwards, when everything was over.

10. TinaT

TinaT Registered User

Sep 27, 2006
    Bolton
    Son stayed the night and we went to visit Ken this afternoon. He was sat in a chair in the corridor and the staff said he had walked the whole length. We decided to put him in a wheelchair as it was obvious that he was still in a lot of pain. Thankfully his new 'gnashers' had been found, not outside as I'd expected but down by the side of his bed. The staff mustn't have noticed that he had no upper teeth in all yesterday. We took Ken to his bedroom and watched tv whilst I did the fortnightly beard trimming and hair cutting on him.

Whilst there the new resident in the next door bedroom wandered into our room. He prefers to spend all his time in his bedroom and only comes downstairs for meals. He is quite confused and doesn't speak much but quite clearly told us that Ken's bedroom was much nicer than his as it had two big windows in it! Whilst I was hoovering the floor to get rid of the cut hair, the man next door wandered in again disturbed by the noise of the hoover. Normally there is no one upstairs and I think the new resident had got used to the quiet and isolation of his room.

Ken needed the toilet and I found a urine bottle in a cupboard but we had to stand him up before he would use it. He was obviously in a lot of pain when we got him upright and couldn't put weight on his foot.

So poor Ken, I think it will take a good few days for his foot to settle down again. Younger son had a look at the gate which Ken had squeezed himself through and said it would not have been too difficult to do. The care workers told me that in the past two other residents had also done this so I will speak to the manager about it when he is back on duty. You never know if the memory is still with Ken and at some future time he might try again.

Many thanks for all your good wishes everyone. You are such a lovely bunch.

xxTinaT