Hot weather

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Not sure whether my father is middle or late stage dementia but he is still at home (age 90) and looked after by my mother (89 retired nurse) supported by two daughters.

In this hot weather Dad's appetite has reduced to almost nothing and his evening confusion has accelerated and is really worrying my mother and getting her down.

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated

Last edited:

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I'm sure this is worrying your mother and getting her down. I should think the heat is getting her down too.

There have been several posts where people have mentioned the worry that people are not drinking enough water. Suggestions include icelollies or jelly - to encourage people. I'm not sure that eating matters so much - so long as we are drinking. I am greedy and much younger than your father - but even I have not been eating much in this weather.

The heat is very hard on all of us but as you say, it is even more difficult when we are older.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I went down the ice lolly route as well!! It was a success. Now have two boxes of ice lollies in the freezer and the sun's gone here!!

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
If you can keep his body cool as well, perhaps wipe his forehead, chest and area at the back of neck with a damp flannel. We've bought my dad a body and face cooling spray on Amazon called Magicool that hydrates and cools the skin although he shouts a little when we spray it on him. I'm hoping the heatwave has now subsided (at least for now), it can be quite dangerous when the temps climb so high and my mum who hasn't got dementia really suffers as well.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL the same. Very lethargic in this weather. We also put the fan gently on her (I end up sweating bucket loads)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Health & Well Being Forum

Hello Grandma Joan , If you go to the Health & Well being forum you will see lots of good :) advice on my Thread Safety Tips in the Heatwave ( its written by Age UK just click on the Link*) . Hope that helps

Love Grove x

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Heatwave

Weirdly, because of the heart tablets he is on he always feels cold so we don/t need to worry about him feeling hot. But we are sure it is affecting his appetite. Thanks for all your helpful tips and advice

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968