Hot water bottles

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
We have for many years had an electric blanket, but my hubby is going back in time when we used to have hot water bottles, l always keep 2 for when we need one, as a conforter when feeling poorly, hubby has now decided he wants a hot water bottle to take to bed. I took electric blanket off bed as water and electric does not mix, hubby takes 30mins to fill 2 bottles, l have watched him tonight, as we have glass in kitchen door, he runs the hot water tap, thinking that hots the electric kettle, so after a while no hot water in tank or kettle, l tried to tell him he needs to put water in the kettle to hot the water, not to run the hot water tap, he got very cross as l was interfering which his project, l think l should throw the bottles away, but will he get more cross when he can not find them, any advice, please help me

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I think you can get something similar to a hot water bottle which you heat in the microwave- possibly it contains wheat. Would he accept this as a safer alternative?
Tre

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you tre l do know about them good idea, only trouble he doesn't know how too use the microwave l will have to beat him to it

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I think most places have stopped selling the wheat ones due to fires from putting them in for too long.

Sorry nothing else to help but don't think the microwave ones are a good option

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Maybe you could try to beat him to it and present him with two already prepared hot water bottles that he can take up to bed?
I would watch out for him fiddling with the tops if they have been filled from the kettle.

I couldn't bear an electric blanket, I like cold sheets, cold rooms (big window always open) and a boiling, too hot-to-bear bottle smouldering at my feet but when I fill my son's I always put some cold in, in case he puts both of his size 15 feet on it and it bursts.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you garnuft we have a cold bedroom, l stopped having a electric blanket because l was too hot, thats why hubby started to fill bottles, l d o fill them before him when l can, he gets so cross because he likes to do it, such a worry as he doesn't know what to do, there is so much know that he can not do, it must be so frustrating for him.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hmmm yes I am a great devotee of the ones filled with wheat, although I prefer, the cherry stone ones, don't like electric blankets. Interestingly though, years ago long before he was diagnosed with dementia, my husband nearly set fire to the house and himself. It was only because I heard the smoke alarm and rushed in to find him in a corner with a black plastic bag in front of him with said smouldering cherry stone bag inside, the bag was filled with paper and was melting, My husband had mobility problems even then. I grabbed the bag and threw it outside. Looking back now I think this was a symptom of dementia although he wasn't diagnosed for another 6 years. So obviously not safe, but good if you can do it for him which doesn't sound like an option. Must admit I'd be anxious about the filling of hot water bottles, hope you can find a solution

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Can you maybe 'puncture' the water bottle and not replace it because, 'They are no longer available'?

Last edited:

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Pamann

My mum lived alone and insisted on a hot water bottle. I worried about her filling it. Then one morning I got a phone call from the carer to say mum had a very nasty burn on her hand. She spent all night with this burn and must have been in pain but didn't even tell the carer until she noticed it. I hid it after that.

I know what it's like trying to reason with someone who is insistent that they can still do everything they used to do. The only thing I can think of is to try and make it something you can do together or try distraction to stop him.

So difficult but I literally avoided confrontation about it until the inevitable happened. I was too worn down by that point to think of a way around it. X

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
A few years ago you could buy gel hot bottles - heat in microwave or do what I did for my Mother in her Home where they could not have hot water bottles - kept it on a radiator which did seem to heat it quite well. Good luck WIFE

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Is he feeling cold? Maybe a warmer room could make him forget about water bottle.

Is he having cold hands and feet? Talk to GP about it. How is blood going and coming from (sorry I don't know the English word for it ).

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, l bought 2 gel filled bottles for microwave. Hubby not happy with them hopefully he will get use to them, l have thrown the old ones away ♡♡♡

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I bought gel filled bottle for hearing in microwave - I use it when I have arthritis flare ups and they are ideal for that.

A word of warning though - make sure they are not overheated in micro as they need very little heating and I dread to think what would happen if overheated. The idea of leaving it on top of radiator (wrapped in a towel or in a hot water bottle cover?) seems a good idea to me - ready to use when required, without the danger of overheating in micro.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you liĺac blossom that is a good idea to leave bottle on radiator, l have put a cover on them. ☺