Hot meals delivery

ClaireT

Oct 9, 2013
My mother has vascular dementia and although she is ok I have to make sure she eats meals on a regular basis. Left to her own devices she would probably just eat jam sandwiches all day long as they are not too difficult for her to make.

I am looking at getting meals delivered but the majority of these services appear to be frozen meals that you heat up at a later date. My mother can't really cope with using the cooker or the microwave (food tends to get really over-cooked). Are there companies that deliver hot meals to private addresses?

Are there are any that come highly recommended? I suppose I'm really after meals on wheels for private addresses. I don't need this delivery every week or even every month, just every now and then.

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Claire

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Contact her local council and they will let you know if they have a meals on wheels service. I can't remember how many meals a person can have per week, I seen to remember it was 5 and that also includes a hot pudding.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My mother has vascular dementia and although she is ok I have to make sure she eats meals on a regular basis. Left to her own devices she would probably just eat jam sandwiches all day long as they are not too difficult for her to make.

I am looking at getting meals delivered but the majority of these services appear to be frozen meals that you heat up at a later date. My mother can't really cope with using the cooker or the microwave (food tends to get really over-cooked). Are there companies that deliver hot meals to private addresses?

Are there are any that come highly recommended? I suppose I'm really after meals on wheels for private addresses. I don't need this delivery every week or even every month, just every now and then.

Claire

Ask at some local pubs or restaurants some deliver hot meals for you ,

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Claire :)

You may be lucky where you are, but to the best of my knowledge, most meals on wheels services have been disbanded ( where councils ran them) as a result of 'cost savings'.

Now there are mostly the frozen food deliveries, as you say, supplemented by care workers who heat the meals. Feels like the antithesis of care to me, but that's how it goes :(

Maybe try a local pub or restaurant? Might a private business like that be willing to deliver? It's not so different from a takeaway business, after all?

Hope you're lucky though, and there are meals on wheels in your area.

Lindy xx

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
My parents had Meals on Wheels because they couldn't have the alternatives (the freezer was in the garage and they couldn't get to it when both were ill).

Maybe your local Age uk or Alz. Society office could find an alternative for you?

yadit0

Mar 26, 2014
Leicestershire
Hot meals

Claire
Hi Claire My mum have meals delivered 6 days a week Hot dinner and pudding I arranged this through her Social worker, the delivery lady plates it and sits mum at the table makes sure shes ok but then leaves. Hope this helps

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden

Claire

Hi Claire, As already has been said, do contact your local council. I for many years delivered Meals on Wheels to several areas. You could have it exactly what day you wanted. The meals were always hot, plus a hot pudding. I thoroughly enjoyed giving this service and I would always talk and make sure the person was OK. All the very best to you and your mother.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Hot meals available in north west england

My mil has meals delivered hot in airline style tray. Personally I would die rather than eat them, but she couldn't cook in the first place.

There is also an indian takeaway here that runs this service ..and a meals plus service which would cover changing lightbulbs and things like that.

However, I have found MILs hot lunch service pathetic in dealing with a van break down or other failure. They just ring and say ..no meal today because of x or x or x. We have had 3 non deliveries in the past year. Would recommend having some alternatives available in the house.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My dad has Meals on Wheels delivered 7 days a week. It is run via our local council here in Herts . It comes ready to eat, hot in foil type containers. Dad does not have dementia but has severe rheumatoid arthritis. The meals come in silver trays but these cannot be foil as they are microwaveable as they also will offer spare ones to put in the freezer in bad weather. Dad keeps his tray ready and they set it down there for him. They are very reliable, he has never been left without a meal, but if there is traffic congestion they can run late. They provide a menu in advance and you tick your choices for the week. If he is out or away I just ring to cancel.
Tre

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
On the other hand......I just emailed him to myself and he's still laughing

Thanks for this, he's infectious:D:D

And then I read this,

My mil has meals delivered hot in airline style tray. Personally I would die rather than eat them, but she couldn't cook in the first place.
When I first misread it I though she was having them delivered by air!

Which made me:D LOL even more:D thank you

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My OH's old aunt used to have a local pub bring her a hot meal on a plate, but the pub was very close by, which is probably essential.

Miss shiraz

Dec 24, 2014
Midlands
We use 'i care' for MIL, they deliver a hot dinner including 'free' pudding. MIL says she really likes them. I also cook and put the dinner (meat, veg gravy etc) in those takeaway cartons - recycled. ( a good excuse to get a takeaway when stocks are running low!!) Then freeze them. They are then nuked for god knows how long in the microwave when she wants lunch!!!
I went into great detail with them about delivery time etc to ensure it fitted in with her regular eating time. I had visions of her getting and eating her lunch then eating the delivered meal. A lovely man delivers them, first delivery was supervised by a friend to check all went ok.

link - http://icarecuisine.co.uk/
this was the company that was on our local authoritys website. You can order as many or as few as required when you order then just pay on your card.

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
We use 'i care' for MIL, they deliver a hot dinner including 'free' pudding. MIL says she really likes them. I also cook and put the dinner (meat, veg gravy etc) in those takeaway cartons - recycled. ( a good excuse to get a takeaway when stocks are running low!!) Then freeze them. They are then nuked for god knows how long in the microwave when she wants lunch!!!
I went into great detail with them about delivery time etc to ensure it fitted in with her regular eating time. I had visions of her getting and eating her lunch then eating the delivered meal. A lovely man delivers them, first delivery was supervised by a friend to check all went ok.

link - http://icarecuisine.co.uk/
this was the company that was on our local authoritys website. You can order as many or as few as required when you order then just pay on your card.

Just clicked on the icare link, gave mum's postcode, and .....no, they don't deliver in her / our area.

The WI used to hold the contract for meals on wheels around here, but it was discontinued as uneconomic some years ago. The council's policy is to go with frozen meals, reheated by care staff. This is adequate to meet nutritional needs, but a rather miserable system, I always feel, and given the cost of paid carers to heat each meal, I also can't see how it's good value :(

Still, I'm glad to hear that Meals on Wheels still exist in large parts of the country :) xx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
icare is a CQC registered company who seem to be taking over/operating at arms length several LA undertakings.

For hot food deliveries you can see the LAs affected >>>HERE<<<

For food deliveries there are three options, for a 'premium service' you can have a 15 minute carer stay, but it doubles the cost >>>DETAILS<<<

If you read the first link you will see that icare also provide
>>>HOME CARE<<<
and
>>>RESIDENTIAL CARE<<<
amongst other things, quite often in association with CCGs or LAs