Hosts Meeting Agenda

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Brucie,

It's also my mother's birthday [the original, not Joan]. How about Thursday 21st? If not, any day will be okay so long as I can reorganise with Glyn and Carole first.

Jude

Last edited:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, afraid the second half of October is going to be a bit of an obstacle course for me. The only definate fixed date yet is 22nd for Andy's op, but I have a pre-op on the 4th so could be called soon after that. My son in law is also booked to go into St Georges for liver tests this month and we will be baby sitting. We have no idea of the outcome obviously and will have to adjust accordingly. You may have to go ahead without me, sorry, love She. XX

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Nada
I have already spoken to you regarding a meeting.
I did think at one point that I would be able to arrange something,but I obviously got to cocky with life
On Wednesday Peg decided she would have a bath,that was a one off,the word bath useually causes a row.
Into the bath at about 10.30(a late night) still in the bath at 1.0am.
In desperation sent for the local Son,she was dry by now and I was able to cover her modesty.
We got her out of the bath at 1.30 am,what a bloody nightmare.
Next day I telephoned my saviour at the carers centre.
We are now waiting ,classed as urgent,for an OT,also the SS for assesments.
Soooo my tasks now are chasing,ranting,bawling,arguing and anything else to get my own way.
As a thought apart Jude about a national campaign,does anyone know a sYmpathetic MP?One with an interest in AD and mental health,one that we could mould for our use?
It's crazy but today has been a good day!!

all the best
Norman

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Do we know of any MP who has had a close relative with Alzheimer's? They would be the best first port of call. Out of 600-odd [very odd some of them] there must be 5-6 of them.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, I had a good letter back from Francis Maude the other day about continuing care, (that one you got us to send Norm.) Don't know his personal stuff though. Can't get his letter onto E mail at present for you to see, will have a go tomorrow once I've read up Brucies tips again! Love, She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Brucie,

I'd certainly think that some MP's would have relatives with AD. Wonder how we can find out, without sending 600 emails?

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear Bruce ,Jude,
I know a Lord who was a minister in the house of commons and is now a minister in the Lords.
I will contact him,as a private individual, no mention of AS or TP and seek his advice.
Could some one approach some MP connected with Health?
Keep you posted
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

Many thanks for this great idea. I've posted a Thread called Hitting the Media, for anyone who wishes to contribute ideas at this stage.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

She might be an ideal starting point and perhaps would know of other MP's with AD sufferers in their families? Are you able to contact her Norm?

Jude

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, can't get Francis Maude's letter to go on, but he says "I have considerable sympathy with the views you express. ...... Current system of long term care is unfair ............ Recognise the very real concerns that people have regarding the price people must pay to provide for care for Alzheimer's disease and other severely debilitating forms of dementia. .............. currently examining ways of redrawing the definition of nursing care, so that those with severe dementia are not unfairly discriminated against." Perhaps we could get an all party pressure group or something? Love, She. XX

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude
I have bee trying to remember Clare Short's back ground and I am almost sure that her husband had AD,he is not alive now.
Anyone can contact her of course but I think we need to be sure of our remit,what are we asking her and on who's behalf?.
Who is to be the lead person ?Will it be an officer of the AS?
Do we put together an action programe and the Society make the publicity contacts?
I would think that the Society is more likely to get resposes than individuals
Perhaps Nada can give guidance on these issues?
every best wish
Norman

Last edited:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

My initial idea was to prepare a series of articles for the national media as a follow up to the Panorama programme and in view of the fact that it's the Anniversary Year for the AS.

A lead article from an MP who has/had a relative with AD, would help enormously. This was Brucie's idea. Other articles could then follow from various Members on a variety of subjects.

I thought that this might help to keep the issue in the public eye and also give the Govt and NHS a bit of a nudge.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude

When we have a series of articles to send to the media,who do we send them from,the TP ?
Do we ask an MP as it is AS aniversary year, and as a follow up to the recent Panorama programme, to start us off, us being TP, by writing a lead article?
Am I being thick or what.?
Sort my head please Jude
Norman

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear all
I have checked on the R t Hon Clare Short MP and she was married to Alex Lyon who died with Alzheimer's disease.
I am quite happy to make the initial approach to her but would like some guidance,
What are we asking her? And what would we like her to do?
All best wishes
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

What I think we should ask her to do is to write a lead article outlining facts and figures about dementia in the UK and explain to her that we will follow up with 5 or 6 further articles from TP Members on various related subjects.

Before we approach Claire, we need to have a very positive outline of all of the articles and topics to be included, as well as their content. She will probably also want to read the articles before they are sent out if she is going to endorse them.

Perhaps we should wait a bit until we have some positive plans formulated and articles in progress.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude
I agree.
This is what I have been asking ,we need to formulate our course of action,be aware of our remit and bear in mind that the AS is the lead body on publicity and should be consulted.
When we know just where we are going we can make our contacts.
All best wishes
Norman

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Meeting Date

Hi All,

Do you mind me asking what happened about the 19th October 2004 meeting, is this now off/postponed.

I am easy as sunday morning about when we meet up, but I just need to organise some work commitments over the next month or two....

thanks
Craig

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Craig,

I don't think we got as far as definitely organising it, since Sheila wasn't sure about surgery dates and Brucie suggested we went ahead without him. That only leaves you and me - and Nada of course.

Shall we try and get something DEFINITE for early November?

Jude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa