Host mode cause deterioration?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Golly, I think it will be a good thing for his sister to see what’s really happening, as long as he isn’t likely to do anything that will put him in harm’s way.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
I think she may have had a little taste of what it's like trying to organise something with him.

Sister: we will pick you up
OH: I can walk.
S: I'll make the spare room up
OH:. I'll sleep on the sofa.
S: I'll leave you some money for takeaway.
OH: I won't ring for a takeaway.
S. I use app to order.
OH. No point I won't answer the door anyway.
S.: Ok what do you like to eat, I'll buy something.
OH: I'm ok.
S: well I'll just pick a few snacks up then.
OH: if you do I'll eat it all.
S: that's the point.
OH: but I don't want to eat it all.
S: just help yourself to anything you want.
OH: I'm not going through your cupboards.
S: sighs, what do you drink.
OH: water.
S: ok, I'll get you some bottled water then.
OH: what's wrong with the taps?
S: arrrrrgggghhh.

Is it wrong that I'm finding it funny watching someone else deal with him?

Trying so hard not to laugh. Lol .

I do have concerns about him being there alone, he's not as fully aware of danger as he used to be and he's also having alot of dizzy spells,

Someone did suggest trying maybe an ear infection could be causing it and see if he'd go GPS that way, well I tried it and all I got from him was it's that 'pots' thing .......I had to Google what that was,. He's obviously aware something is wrong and trying to self diagnose.

Concerns aren't so much that something could happen,it's more how long it would be before someone knew, I'll have to check in with him regularly.

But from conversations I've heard him have with his sister he plans on setting up on the sofa and not moving lol.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
What a day yesterday,. He's getting worked up I think about going to his sister's tomorrow.

He's done something to his phone, it's saying it needs a factory reset. He went to see his mum ( lives around corner) and didn't take it with him,it was fine before he went but not when he got back. Not came outright and accused anyone of breaking his phone but that's what he was getting at .

He can't be bothered with all the messing around resetting it ( think he's not confident that he can), won't let me do it, getting all the old arguments about him not needing one. Going to have to try sneaking it away.

He's talking so low that we can't hear him, but it isn't him, it's us not listening to him, we all take him for granted.

I got 2 hrs of the silent treatment, something to do with dinner,no idea what.

He went to the bin and when he came back kids were downstairs ( came for food) but we were talking about him apperantly, we are all against him.

The amount of times I got accused of ignoring him when he hadn't actually spoke out loud was ridiculous.

He's really struggling with finding words.

Sits still for more than 5 mins and he's asleep.

Lots of 'you don't like/want me anymore, you can't stand me touching you,we don't have sex anymore'.
Which is not true, he actually forgot what to do last time, stopped halfway through and asked me what to do next.

Short term memory was pretty much gone yesterday apart from 1 story he saw on TV ( that got repeated to us all day, when he was actually talking to us). And all the us not wanting/ us being against him stuff. Any slightly normal conversations were forgotten immediately.

I have seen him for about 2 minutes today,we passed on the stairs, he didn't sleep very well and despite not being up for very long he was going back to bed and that was 2 hrs ago,

Still holding my breath wondering what he's going to be like today.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh golly, I remember the walking on eggshells stage, waiting for the next outburst.

My OH was convinced that he had nothing wrong with him and if anything went wrong it was always someone elses fault (mostly mine). H was losing abilities right left and centre, but if I offered to help or tried to explain what to do, I was treating him like a child, taking him over, telling him what to think etc etc. And yes, sex became just another lost skill. In our case he ended up hurting me and I had to ask him to stop. You can imagine how that was remembered ?. He also does the not saying things out loud and thinking that he has. Its as if he thinks that I can hear his thoughts. I used to make a joke of it and say that telepathy isnt a reliable form of communication, but he was certain that he had told me. He has recently started muttering his thoughts under his breath (especially when he is reading) and Im beginning to think that he can no longer differentiate between thinking and speaking.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think she may have had a little taste of what it's like trying to organise something with him.

Sister: we will pick you up
OH: I can walk.
S: I'll make the spare room up
OH:. I'll sleep on the sofa.
S: I'll leave you some money for takeaway.
OH: I won't ring for a takeaway.
S. I use app to order.
OH. No point I won't answer the door anyway.
S.: Ok what do you like to eat, I'll buy something.
OH: I'm ok.
S: well I'll just pick a few snacks up then.
OH: if you do I'll eat it all.
S: that's the point.
OH: but I don't want to eat it all.
S: just help yourself to anything you want.
OH: I'm not going through your cupboards.
S: sighs, what do you drink.
OH: water.
S: ok, I'll get you some bottled water then.
OH: what's wrong with the taps?
S: arrrrrgggghhh.

Is it wrong that I'm finding it funny watching someone else deal with him?

Trying so hard not to laugh. Lol .

I do have concerns about him being there alone, he's not as fully aware of danger as he used to be and he's also having alot of dizzy spells,

Someone did suggest trying maybe an ear infection could be causing it and see if he'd go GPS that way, well I tried it and all I got from him was it's that 'pots' thing .......I had to Google what that was,. He's obviously aware something is wrong and trying to self diagnose.

Concerns aren't so much that something could happen,it's more how long it would be before someone knew, I'll have to check in with him regularly.

But from conversations I've heard him have with his sister he plans on setting up on the sofa and not moving lol.
There's precious little to laugh about with dementia but watching his sister must be incredibly funny. And satisfying. No need to say, 'I told you so,' - she's going to find out in no uncertain terms!

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
I normally go down the making it abit of a joke route but definitely wouldn't have worked yesterday, would have just would have caused an argument.

On the sex front, he has hurt me a few times too being over eager during foreplay, I managed to kinder turn that into a joke 'woah down boy' kinda thing, he was getting determined almost obsessive with me having 'fun' first , I became a very good actress and would normally aim for his 'fun' from the'foreplay' angle as it was quicker,

sex had/ has just become a chore, one more thing on my to do list, pretty much non existent now.

He's started making a point of using my name at times, not just a goodnight, it's now goodnight ****, I have wondered if he's forgot my name at times, I know he does forget the kids names.

And he's let me reset his phone.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
Well his sister just rang, she's got bronchitis and weekend cancelled.

He's sitting muttering about her messing him around and being sick of constantly changing his plans for her.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
It maybe our last year of putting Halloween decorations out and having trick or treaters, I can see him getting more and more agitated putting the decorations up,

I really don't think he's happy at the thought of kids knocking on the door.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
Has anyone got any suggestions about overeating sweet things?

So far I have separated OH's snacks from the rest of the house's snacks in different cupboards in different rooms, his are alot closer.he's diabetic and all his snacks are diabetic friendly.

I have started buying snack packs of biscuits, cakes that are individually wrapped so if he does go into the other cupboard he only gets a small packet otherwise he will eat a full big pack.

The kids also have a supply in their bedrooms. I did stop leaving snacks downstairs but he just started going into kids bedrooms looking, it works better with small packets downstairs.

The remaining issues are ice-cream,larger family cakes and the shorter life stuff doughnuts/ muffins ect.

Example: large fresh12 slice carrot cake (6 people in house) brought thursday for dessert on Friday and Saturday, Fri lunch will take 2/3 slices saying no-one is eating it so he'll have to or it will be thrown away, slice each for dessert. Friday late evening " not enough left for everyone so he'll eat it so no arguments between kids" and before you know it he's ate half of a massive family cake that's supposed to do us all twice!

I have tried buying smaller 6 slice cake but he just starts with how small the slices are and normally ends up with me going without.

I've tried freezing half of big cake but ended up same as if had brought smaller one.

Have tried portioning up on plates/in bowls or tubs but caught him taking extra bits as "youngest won't eat a full slice,2nd youngest doesn't eat much so won't eat it all"

It's at the point where I'm just not buying anymore. Ice-cream and any home baking goes the same way.

any ideas of how I can have my cake and eat it....

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Unsure2021, if your just trying to stop him having a lot more carbohydrates you could try cutting down potatoes/ bread etc on the days that he overeats on sweet things. Look at the type of veg with meals - root veg and pulses contain a lot of carbohydrates - try changing the balance to more leafy veg if possible. This way his lapses will have less effect on his overall diabetic control.
When it comes to home baking look for recipes that you can use wholemeal flour in so any sugars get absorbed over a longer period of time. Make the cakes but don't add the icing, fillings etc. Try cutting the fat content of loved recipes down slowly to reduce total calorie content.
Try fructose (fruit sugar) instead of the normal table sugar (sucrose). It tastes sweeter so you can cut the amount in a recipe down by at least half and if nobody complains at this try reducing even more next time.
If you'r making fruit crumbles don't add sugar to the fruit - try cinnamon with apple or rhubarb as it adds some sweetness without sugar. Dont use sweeteners in baking - the temperature alters it and messes things up. You can probably make home baking a lot more healthy than shop bought items.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
Luckily I love fruit and veg and grow loads of different sorts at home most yrs although I have struggled last few yrs thru my health and problems with the OH "helping" but that's a different issue.

His eating is getting ridiculous, the portion sizes especially, I have brought smaller bowls and plates too.

He has porridge in the morning and I buy the individual portions and fill the rest of the bowl with fruit, use honey if it needs to be sweeter, As long as the bowl is full he's happy.

If has loose cereal he will fill the bowl with cereal and milk, way way more than a portion.

Lunch is hit and miss, sometimes will have a tin of mackerel, sometimes a bagel, it's more of a snack type lunch, I have tried to get him to have an omelet or meal like lunch but he will not have any of it, as far as he's concerned an omelet is a main evening meal.

He will eat celery/cherry toms with something to dip it in like couscous, potato salad, coleslaw hummus ect at lunch but eats the whole tub and wants pork pie, quiche aswell but won't have full salad with it as it's a main evening meal then as far as he's concerned.

He always HAS to have a cholesterol yoghurt at lunch.

I'm still working on lunch with him.

Evening meal, that has been another issue, we have gone from me cooking to him cooking as it became 'his job' and from proper meals to whatever is quickest for him to things like beans on toast, then us batch cooking meals in the mornings to now me batch cooking.

We have lots of meals ready made but he always ends up adding more to them, we do have the microwave veg bags that you can get that I try to fill his plate with if possible, he's very difficult at evening meal.

He doesn't eat alot of potato but does like jacket potatoes.

It all comes down to portion size with him tho, if his plate is not overloaded then he's not happy at all.

We do eat alot of fruit and veg. pulses are my least favourite so are not really used very often.

He does eat alot of bread in the form of naan bread and wraps.

He starts asking repeatedly from lunch time what's for dinner, it's tiring.

I've never tried cinnamon in fruit crumble but I will try it.

I will also try the fructus sugar too.

I have tried sweetner in baking and it was disgusting lol.

Cakes don't last long enough to get iced or filled, I'm lucky if they last long enough to get cool.

Omg I just had a thought ....portion size.... Does he know what a portion size is or is he using container ( bowl,plate,tub ect) as a portion?

1 slice of cake isn't a portion,a bowl full is....... his breakfast has to be a bowl full that's why it gets filled with fruit,

There are loads of examples/ times I can think off, he puts whole packs of food in oven instead of taking a portion out, the tubs of dips at lunch.

The smaller packs of biscuits, he only takes one,big pack of biscuits, he takes a pack.

The home baking is just left on baking tray to cool, no container for him too judge portion size,

If this is the case it won't stop him eating the wrong stuff but I might be able to limit his portions, I will have a think on ways to try this idea out, see if it is container size he's using as a portion

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
Nope, he's just over eating,

Decided today since only had 1 very slightly high blood sugar reading in last 6 months ( even with all the sugargy stuff) that he's not diabetic anymore so can eat as much as he wants of whatever he wants.

Arrgh I'm so tempted to just say stuff it, pig out on what you want then! Driving me mad trying to control his diabetes when he doesn't give a damn about it.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Unsure2021, his appetite may be partly due to his dementia - my brothers FIL was constantly hungry in the early stages yet as things progressed he forgot to eat. What is his long range (HBa1c) reading like. I used to find some of my diabetic patients would only test when they expected the result to be good so occasional home tests weren't always reliable.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
2013 he had dizzy spells at work,had to have it investigated because of work, no diabetes found then, something to do with BP dropping when changing position.

2016 he collapsed, hit head, slurred speech, long term sugars slightly raised, repeated and still slightly raised so given diabetes diagnosis.

Up until Jan he then avoided GP/ diabetes checks due to horrid GP appointment. He hadn't got a home test thing and he had no interest in even trying to control his diabetes.
So no idea what was happening with his sugars then

Jan ended up in hospital with chest pains,long term sugars came back good and all finger prick while in hospital were good.

GP redid long term sugars a month later and were still good.told him recheck in August (6 months) but called him in for blood tests after 3 months so checked long term again since taking blood anyway, and those came back good too. Doesn't need doing for 12 months. ( This has come from the other half though, I wasn't present).

I brought a home testing thing and got him to check first thing in the morning, before and 2 hrs after meals and before bed for 2 weeks to try to get an idea of what his sugars were doing during the day, and they were all fine.

I now get him to check his sugars only if he's confused, struggling with words or seems down or something seems'off' and only ever had 1 slightly high reading, never been low.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
I have noticed something new... stuttering.

First time was yesterday, thought maybe a one off but has done it again today.

Trying to say book but came out as buk-buk- buk, he started laughing and said he sounded like a bloody chicken!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband is diabetic but also has swallowing problems so on a soft diet. i have enough problems stopping him eating things that can cause choking that i have given up on the diabetic diet im afraid. i did step away from the soft diet at one time as it was causing him to take it out on me. i have a limit what i can do and what i can take. soft diet was more important

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
I've got to decide between his health ( diabetes/ high cholesterol/ high BP/ weightgain/snoring/mild sleep apnea).

And mine and our 3 under 18 kids treats/ takeaways.

He just eats so much when he can get away with it, it can't be good for him but I also don't think it's fair to expect the kids to go without just to try and control his eating. It really is ridiculous how much he eats.

Last night for example, kids birthday,they choose a takeaway for dinner ( something we've always done,used to be going out for a meal but OH refuses to go out for meals now).
He not only ate his,he had half of mine, finished off pizza the kids left ( Would have been equivalent to a 12" pizza), had a slice of birthday cake and then a tub of ice-cream, I stopped him going for more cake and that was it ' I became the worst person in the world.

I can't keep trying to manage his intake.

His health or kids treats? Is pretty much where I'm at.

Unsure2021

Jan 1, 2021
I have told him off today and been getting the silent treatment for the last 4 hrs and he's taken himself off to bed.

Oh the sexual jokes and inuendos over the last few days,

Everytime he opens his mouth it's sex related.

Singing a song " get out of my head and into my pants".

Sparkles on a woman's top ... she gave her fella a happy ending.

Watching a program with gymnastics..." Your mum used to be able to put her legs behind her head,it's how the eldest was conceived,I remember it vividly" ( said to 11 and 16 yr old).

Adding to shopping list: a new penis and a wimple ( obviously because I'm a nun!)

Pointing out every single bit of top/ side boob he sees.

And so on and on.

We have just been ignoring or changing subject.

He is also grabbing, mainly boob. Very quick grab, poke, honking as walking past.

Too quick for me to react/ move/say anything.

He's been in a good mood and says he's just having a joke around with us, we need to chill out, he thought we would be happy he's in a good mood.

It's doing my head in, he's almost being childish in his jokes and grabbing, it's just so inappropriate though as it's all sex related