Hospitalisation and dehydration

GMRB

Oct 24, 2019
My husband who has Lewy Body dementia had a fall on a hard surface on Monday 19 July. He went to A&E and is still in hospital. The hospital staff are pestering me for a dnr. I visited yesterday, Saturday, day 5 after his fall, and there is a nil by mouth sign on his bed. They are not providing water or nourishment. The saline drip was not dripping - it was turned off. We have just had an extreme heat wave and there is no air con on the ward. I cannot understand this so called care plan - it smacks of the Liverpool care pathway. Dehydration will accelerate his death.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That sounds dreadful @GMRB Have you considered your husband may be approaching end of life or are you surprised?

I would want to ask someone about this. Could you pay another visit and question why the drip was turned off? It is what I would want to do.

Is nil by mouth because there is a possibility of surgery? If so, perhaps that is why you have been asked about a DNR.

Whatever the case you are entitled to better communication.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Could your husband be nil by mouth because he has swallowing problems?
If you can’t get any answers from the ward staff, maybe contact PALS who are patient liaison and they could help to find out more on his condition.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Is he injured? Waiting for an op?

Have you been in daily contact with the ward? What is the plan from here?.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @GMRB
what a troubling situation
it's just not good enough that you are not being communicated with

PALS may be able to help, ask to speak with the Dementia matron for the hospital, make a fuss

an Admiral Nurse may be of help, give them a call ... there may be one attached to the hospital

Mr.A

Jun 5, 2021
My husband who has Lewy Body dementia had a fall on a hard surface on Monday 19 July. He went to A&E and is still in hospital. The hospital staff are pestering me for a dnr. I visited yesterday, Saturday, day 5 after his fall, and there is a nil by mouth sign on his bed. They are not providing water or nourishment. The saline drip was not dripping - it was turned off. We have just had an extreme heat wave and there is no air con on the ward. I cannot understand this so called care plan - it smacks of the Liverpool care pathway. Dehydration will accelerate his death.
When you say you are being pestered for DNR, has it been explained to you why? Did he sustain an internal injury in his fall which may prevent the application of resuscitation? When my wife was admitted to hospital following a fall six months ago I was phoned by a doctor making the same request. This is frightening at the time but I was able to glean that because of fractured ribs and a punctured lung resuscitation is not possible. She made a full recovery from the fall but unfortunately she has dementia which was probably the cause of the fall. Ask some questions.