Hospital

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
Hi All,

My Gran (who lives with us and I'm 2nd carer for) had a major abdominal bleed (her 5th) on Thursday morning and was rushed to hospital. She received treatment, which seemed to be working and we were hoping that unless she needed another blood transfusion she would be out on Monday. However this morning my Mum phoned and they said she had had a bad fall, hit her head and was 'a source of concern' and the doctors had been called. My parents left immediately and I'm hoping to hear from them soon.

My Mum has been in all day each day and at night until 11pm/12am to settle Granny and had explained that she was a fall and flight risk and that they shouldn't let her go to the toilet unaided (they had boasted about letting her do this after Mum had specifically requested that she wasn't allowed to do this).

It's both my brothers' graduations (one undergrad, other PhD) this week and it looks like my parents are going to miss them. I'm also scared that my Gran could die.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
How sad for you all. Is there anyone else your mum and dad would trust to be at the hospital with your gran so they could go to the graduations? Gran would surely not want them to miss such once-in-a-lifetime events if there's any way it could be managed.

Things may look very black at the moment but sometimes people do recover better than expected; hope you have better news soon.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I feel for you next year my daughter graduates and we are carers for my mother in law and she lives with us and has done for 2.5 yrs. I am looking in to restbite but its a mimimum of 2 weeks and £1000 a week and local homes cannot say if they can do it or not until 2 weeks before .I have already missed my graduation because of MIL . I am not going to mis my daughters .could you not get someone from Age Uk to stay with them in hospital I know my sitter works 5 hrs in hospital with people with dementia .

Demonica66

Oct 23, 2014
Hi Lisa74; what an upsetting time for you all. I really think that your parents should go to the Graduations. Would it perhaps be possible for your parents to contact a care agency and request sitters for your Grandmother so that your family is able to go? Your Gran would probably be mortified to think that she had stopped them from attending. I am sure the hospital could give you further details and they also have volunteers. I really hope your family can find a solution. You obviously have a very close and loving family. Thoughts are with you. D x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry to hear about your Gran's fall - have you had an update from your Mum? I really hope it is not as bad as feared at first, and that your Gran will soon be home with you.

How maddening that this was allowed to happen in hospital despite all that your poor Mum did to keep your Gran safe.