Hospital

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
@dogdayafternoon

My husband in his nursing home started to refuse drinks and we tried everything from jelly, ice lollies, ice cream, etc. He was having non of it. One of the Carers said that when she was small and unwell her grandmother gave her warm lemonade with honey in it and she lived it.

So she made him one, 200 mls went down without him taking the beaker from his lips. That was his preferred drink from then on. Even when he had to eventually have thickener in it he enjoyed it. The only thing to remember if using thickener is add the thickener slowly as it has a reaction with the warm lemonade and honey, it froths up and just explodes over the beaker and there is alarge sticky mess to clear up, I only did it once.

It might be worth a try especially if she has a sweet tooth.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Hi Woo2, I am as ok as you can be in these strange times, after talking to the consultant I was not going to get news of much change phoning the nurses daily so i left it until today, the nurse said she was good, they got her in the shower ok and she was sitting in the chair for the first time for a few days, I asked about eating and they said she had a litttle porrige and some juice and a little protein drink so a small improvement.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
That’s good , nice steady improvement. Keep fingers crossed it continues , Take care of yourself .

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
yesterday she was almost normal with me or as she was three weeks ago, talking firmly and tellling me to go and do something so I left for two hours and when I returned she was happy to see me ate a ginger nut and a fruit gum.
Today she was listless complaining about pain in her arm, the nurse was there asking me about the skin loss they had just found when washing her, I told the nurse the auxiliary nurse told me on Thursday and the hospital photographer had taken photo's, the nurse said it was not on her notes.
I sat with her for a while but she was not very happy so I left for lunch, still not so happy when I returned complaining of feeling cold so I put her cardi on and a blanket on her knees but she kept on sitting up and the blanket fell down again and again and she was talking softly that I could not hear, when i asked what she wanted she said "stop disturbing me".
Then she asked to go to the toilet but had a performance trying to get her to stand up, finally managed and returned to seat but became more agitated removing the blanket. i asked if she was hot and she said I asked for the blanket then we are back to her sitting up and pulling the blanket off.
In the end after about 30 minutes she wanted to go to the toilet again, on trying to get her up she was trying to use the broken arm so I placed it back in the sling and she asked why I was being nasty with her. Finally got her to the toilet but going out she tried to go out to the corridor, lucky there were two physio's there who convinced her to return to her seat. By this time I was worn out and told her I had to get some shopping before they closed and I exit stage left before she replied.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Update, just had her nurse call, my wife is well in herself but still confused and needing nursing to turn her and for toilet, still not eating much solids but drinking ok and drinking the protein drinks.
She asked my views on what next, four help visits by day and none at night, I said I did not think I could manage and the nurse agreed but said she had to ask my views, they will now contact social services to see what nursing homes are available but at this time with the virus it may be some time before anything happens.
Thought I was doing ok but choked up at the end of the call

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))
A care home is always a big milestone, even when you are expecting it.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
It’s hard having something confirmed even when we are expecting it. I hope somewhere suitable is found quickly.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
You have made a wise decision. When settled your wife will be “happy “ and you can at least relax a little.
Every decision on this journey is hard to make but proud that you made it. Don’t weaken and let them send her home .

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Think you have made the right decision for both of you , very difficult though it is . Sending you strength.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Latest, Just had the hospital social worker call, they are going to move my wife to a nursing home. They will be calling all the ones in the area but because of corvid-19 they need to get the hospital free so it will be next week and it will be a fast move probably with no choice.
The social worker said because of the speed the NHS are funding it all at present and costs will be worked out later, she did say some places want a top up payment anything from 20 to 200 a week, I said I could afford some but not 200 and she said not to worry for now and there would be a review in eight weeks.
Trying to work out now what I could afford, running the car is a big expense and I qualify for a bus pass so that would cover £80 a week

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Glad social services are sorting out a nursing home for your wife. As others have said try not to worry about the fees etc yet. They'll be time to sort that out when the review happens

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I completely agree, don’t worry about figures for now , there will be time enough for that , you have a lot to get your head around at the moment .

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Latest news, Social services found a place in a nursing home and if all is ok will transfer her on Wednesday.
Looked up the home and it looks ok, care home commision gave it a "good".
It's not too far to get to, actually it's near to where she whent to school when she was a girl.
Thanks for all the kind words of support, it's good to be able to tell someone what is happening.