Hospital

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Just visited now second day, nurse said she has refused food and would not let them take her to the shower. She is still wearing the same things under the hospital gown which is stained.
She was not very happy and confused much more so than I would expect. She has not eaten even a snickers bar I left.
She wants to go somewhere but will not stand up and keeps taking the sling off her arm.
I fear her mental ability has dropped a lot almost overnight and do not know what to expect next.
She will not be allowed home if she can not stand up.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I too am sorry to read this and wish both of you all the best.

I presume the hospital have checked for an infection such as a UTI as something like that can cause a dramatic downturn.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Afternoon visit was better, she had been washed and dressed but still not eating. Two physios turned up and got her to walk out to the hall and back, a little later she said she needed the toilet but was unable to stand with my help so I called the nurse and they used a machine to lift her on to a toilet but nothing so they placed her back in the chair, about 30 minutes later she wanted to go again, this time I managed to get her to stand and helped her to the toilet and this time was ok. She returned to her seat but started sleeping. 5pm dinner but she did not want any, i told her she needed energy to walk and will not come home unless she can prove it, in the end I left at 530pm, all she has had is one ginger nut diet coke and orange juice for almost 2 days.
They told me they have sent off a sample for UTI but she had three last year but nut with this effect.
Tomorrow may be better, weekend over so results of UTI may be available, just have to think positive.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Today I asked about the UTI result but they did not get enough to test they will try again but they got a brain scan today so see what that shows.
The nurse said she did not sleep much through the night and was dozing a lot today, I did get her to eat two bites of a sandwich and two bite of a snickers, she still does not seem to realize she needs to walk to be able to come home

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @dogdayafternoon
might you try offering something easier to eat eg yogurt, rice pudding, soup, trifle, mashed potato and gravy, blancmange, mashed banana and custard ...

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Thinking during the night if she stays like this she would not be able to come home unless there was another carer to help. Can only hope it is a UTI causing this and she returns to how she was on Thursday.
On the food side she has refused, yogurt and ice cream both of these she likes usually.
Can a person go down this fast? I know her brain will not get better but up to Friday thought it would be a couple of years yet before thinking of care homes

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
When I got in the ward at 11 am there were two dementia nurses with her, one spoke to me in private and I told her the history, she said they tried to do a cognative test with her but she did not want to.
I took her a bottle of her favorite orange juice, when she saw it she drank the whole bottle (250mil) that is the first time I have seen her enjoy a drink since she was in the ward, later did not want to eat even ice cream.
When returned from lunch I brought an M&S prawn sandwich which she likes but she did not eat it, the nurse said she will try her with it at dinner.
She fell asleep in the chair so I left at 4:00 pm, when I got home I called the social care team and told them what happened and where she was and they are going to send a social worker to see her.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
The scan on Monday was a cat scan, today they wanted an MRI scan but she refused saying she is tired and wants to go home, she also refused to have blood taken same reason.
She gets angry if I tell her it's to help her and she needs to do these things so she can come home.
Still not eating, the M&S prawn sandwich unopened, she did drink the two bottles of orange I brought.
She was looking to get dressed but can not stand up.
Not sure what happens next.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I feel for you and your loved one. It is not an easy situation to be in, you feel events are out of your control and at the same time powerless to do anything.
Ask to attend the weekly review meetings, talk to the ward sister and doctors and agree on a plan of action.
My other piece of advice (for what little it is worth!) is to take some time off and recharge your batteries. From experience going to visit someone in a hospital is physically and mentally demanding.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
This morning she was better mentally, told the nurse she did not want an MRI or have her bloods taken even after i told her she needed to do it to be able to come home.
She then said she wanted the toilet and stood up unaided and walked quite fast to the door but it was occupied, she then sat on an ordinary chair with no arm rest that I thought she would not get up from but she did, used the toilet, when i looked in to check she was looking in the mirror at her hair saying it needs doing so taking an interest. She did take my hand to go back to her seat.
The lunch came round and she had asked for soup only but when it came she would not touch it, again she only drank the orange juice I had brought.
I left to get some lunch but when I returned she was more confused asking to go and sit in the car to go home, again wanting the toilet but back to saying she could not stand, in the end I got her up and she managed, the two physios saw her walking and waited until she came out and got her to walk down the corridor, they also noticed she was not wearing her sling so her hand was puffy and red so got it back on her (the nurses don't seem to be bothered) .
Still confused and now feeling tired so I talked to the senior nurse about her UTI result and he said they had not been able to get a good sample, I said I have had her to the toilet four times and he asked me to let them know the next time so they can try to get a sample.
I left at 4 pm feeling drained, I think it could be a UTI so see what tomorrow brings

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
This morning she was talking to the two physios when I arrived and in a good mood, then she said her arm was paining and the nurse returned with oral morphine (is that normal morphine?). She said she wanted the toilet so I advised the nurse and they fitted a pan in the toilet bebore I helped her there, only a small quantity but the nurse said enough for a test.
Another nurse turned up saying her bloods this morning showed she was dehydrated, I had brought some of her favorite orange juice and she drank two bottles. Someone from the psychiatric team came and asked her if it was ok to vsit her on Monday and she was happy about that, he took me outside and I gave him some history.
Still not eating much but at lunch she ate a little egg salad, later she ate some crisps I brought and even drank some tea at 3:00pm, asked the nurse for some more paracetamol for her but she turned up with the oral morphine again?
I am a little surprised about the morphine as she was not in agony only normal pain

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Going from paracetamol directly to morphine does seem a bit extreme if your wife isn't in severe pain, as there are other pain relief medications that could be tried prior to morphine. Maybe speak to the consultant about why morphine is being given and also ensure that her pain is being properly monitored.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Arrived before 11am and she was just sitting and said she needed the toilet, I managed to get her to stand and as we walked to the toilet afew drops escaped from her, got her on the toilet and dropped some toilet paper on the small puddle and got her back to her seat.
Doctor came and asked to take blood and tried to explain why, of course she just said she was tired I told her they need to find out if you are dehydrated but still no.
Doctor said if they think you do not understand why they can take action to take care of you.
She fell asleep sitting up so I left and had lunch when I returned she wanted the toilet again so I managed to get her there and back, after 30 min she wanted to go again, this is classic UTI, they got the sample yesterday still no reult through
A physio came and did some manipulation with her, her hand is swollen and dark.
Two more times I took her to the toilet, asked for some pain relief for her, had to ask three times before it turned up, nurse said "she refused to take it before".
I left at 5pm, the last patient in her room went home so she is there alone tonight, feel guilty leaving her alone, some of the other patients used to encourage her.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The nightmares could be related to the morphine.

I hope they get the results for the UTI test quickly so that things might settle if the test is positive and treatment rendered.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Just visited now second day, nurse said she has refused food and would not let them take her to the shower. She is still wearing the same things under the hospital gown which is stained.
She was not very happy and confused much more so than I would expect. She has not eaten even a snickers bar I left.
She wants to go somewhere but will not stand up and keeps taking the sling off her arm.
I fear her mental ability has dropped a lot almost overnight and do not know what to expect next.
She will not be allowed home if she can not stand up.
So like my experiences this week @dogdayafternoon as my OH has gone from a reasonabl, clean and fairly able person to a car wreck and hardly any semblance of the original lovely lady she has been. Good signs as the week has progressed however as meds and rehab staff get to work. She is mor lucid and less emotional/angry and is now trying to look after herself and had her first shower yesterday. As you say it is how bad is the damage after is the unknown frightener. Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A