Hospital

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
The community nurse called again to tell me the result of her meeting with my wife. She found her memory very poor, she was also going from crying to smiling, she also had paranoia and was saying people did not care about her. I asked if she had mentioned me and the nurse said my wife thought I had gone away.
The nurse also said along with the drug for dementia they were giving her an antydepressant at night and had decidedto increase the dose. The psychiatrist will phone me on the 5th Nov to discus further, they are worried about the not eating or drinking much and they are not sure how to proceed with that, I think they are heading for palliative care only.
Came home the find a letter on a PPI claim I raised for my wife last year which had been dismissed, they have now decided to pay her £250.00, pitty she won't know or be able to spend it.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I hope increasing the antidepressant helps, @dogdayafternoon . My mum recently had a bad patch, where she was very distressed and frequently refusing medication, food and drink. Increasing her nightly antidepressant (I think she has an additional dose in the mornings now) really helped within a few days. I will keep my fingers crossed that it does the same for your wife.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
little bit of good news for my next door neighbor, 84 years old, got the virus which made his bi polar condition worse, ended up in a care home for months but finally managed to get home a couple of days ago much to the delight of his wife and daughters, hope to chat with him at a distance in the garden later today.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
just had the psychiatrist from the memory clinic on the phone, they think my wifes dementia is mixed but mainly vascular and that the memory enhancing drug is not helping so they will stop giving that. I asked if I should try and send some things for her birthday on the 13th but she said better to talk to the home. In the end not much information but at least some diagnosis.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Just had a call from the care home nurse who said she has been off for a few days and on her return has found a big deterioration in my wife. She has called for the GP to come and see her and they may have to decide with me the best course of action, she is not eating or drinking at all and they may decide not to transfer to hospital.

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Update, she has eaten and drunk a little and is stable, the doctors surgery finally called this morning to make an appointment for the GP to talk to me on the 23rd about emergency health care, that's11 days away.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Update, she has eaten and drunk a little and is stable, the doctors surgery finally called this morning to make an appointment for the GP to talk to me on the 23rd about emergency health care, that's11 days away.

Oh that's awful! They tell you they want a conversation about emergency health care... but not for 11 days??

Plase call the surgery back and tell them it is urgent...

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Update, later the same day a GP phoned and said she was on her way to see my wife and discussed the emergency health care and my wifes needs, she was very sympathetic and made me feel she was interested in the best outcome for my wife.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Update, later the same day a GP phoned and said she was on her way to see my wife and discussed the emergency health care and my wifes needs, she was very sympathetic and made me feel she was interested in the best outcome for my wife.
Thank goodness for that! Hope you are feeling (a little) relieved and that things can move forward in a positive way...

dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
Had a strange evening, the care home nurse called about 5:30 pm to say she thought my wife’s sore was infected and had sent her to hospital. I called the hospital and a junior doctor said they had taken bloods but had not been able to fit a canula, about 30 minutes later the registar called to discuss treatment, they thought it was not infected and keeping her in a busy emergency ward would be stressful and would send her back to the care home if I agreed which I did.

Called the care home this morning and she had arrived back about midnight, had a good night and was chatting and drinking tea, maybe the little adventure picked her up.