Hospital want to discharge

Weather

Sep 2, 2015
My mother had a fall a few days ago. Since being in has developed kidney infection and diagnosed heart failure. Consultant told her today she could go home. She lived on her own and has 2 carers a day to help with meds. In hospital she is just managing the short shuffle to toilet and bed. They seem to accept her version that her son is coming to stay. Concerned that next time she wont be found so quickly. Social work wont be able to visit for another few days to assess her needs.
Have made formal complaint but consultant sticking to his guns she is medically fit to go home

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My mother had a fall a few days ago. Since being in has developed kidney infection and diagnosed heart failure. Consultant told her today she could go home. She lived on her own and has 2 carers a day to help with meds. In hospital she is just managing the short shuffle to toilet and bed. They seem to accept her version that her son is coming to stay. Concerned that next time she wont be found so quickly. Social work wont be able to visit for another few days to assess her needs.
Have made formal complaint but consultant sticking to his guns she is medically fit to go home

should be a hospital social work and a team of people who have to assess if she safe to go home

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I'm sure consultant wants to discharge her.... Good for them getting your mum better enough to go home.... :rolleyes:

It's not that easy to do, once dementia is involved, so hospital social worker and Physio and possibly mental health team need to be involved before she should be allowed to go home, especially as there is no one living at the same address to care for her once she is back home. Carers 2 times during the day are great, but not much help during the night time when she possibly needs more support now.

Get hospital social worker involved and if no joy there, speak to PALS - patient something liaison somebody - can't remember what PALS stands for :D but they are the "fixers" if you have any issues about the hospital

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Hi Weather,
Sorry to hear your mums been so unwell and in hospital,I hope she feels better soon.
Yes,Balloo is right,there should be a team who decide when a patient is fit to go home,but also that they will be safe to go home,a care plan,an Occupational therapist would ask to speak to you,next of kin,what mobility aids,etc she needs or has already,the doctor is only assessing her on her health and there have been a few occasions when they declared my mum medically fit and I have had to have the GP come out the same day and they have said she's far from well but not unwell enough to warrant an ambulance back to hosp..
If your gut instinct is telling you something,then take heed and ask to speak a safe discharge team..
It shouldn't have to be this way in this day and age,but it is.. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

TrixieB

Jul 2, 2015
Same problem

I had the same thing with mum when the doctor wanted to discharge her the next day. Despite diagnosing her with Alzheimer's they believed her when she said she ran a house, cooked all the meals, did all the shopping etc - in her mind she did - in reality she lay on the settee all day doing nothing. Stick to your guns or she'll end up back in as a failed discharge. Insist that she stays in until a social work/ occupational health assessment has been done, and try and be there for it to prevent your mum giving just her version. Nursing staff should also be supporting you here - speak to the Ward manager/Sister. The consultant is just trying to get her bed freed up. This is a team decision, not one person's. Good luck.

Weather

Sep 2, 2015
Update

Thanks for everyones advice. Mum has improved a lot today much more mobile but exaughsted by movement. I think they just see the dottery old lady not the woman we had a week ago.
Consultant is digging heals in. Social work cant get involved without referal from consultant. Consultant hasnt done it. OT agrees that she is physically able to go home as she could walk along corridor open a tin off beans and make tea. Made judgement wothout discussion with us or ever seeing her house.
Have said GP will monitor her response to medication and if she is improving.

We have even gone to our MP today.
Consultant now saying its best to get her home as MSRA in ward! Which seems to be counter intuitive to me kick out frail old woman leaving her vulnrable rather than tackle mrsa which all hospitals are rife with.

We have managed to delay it today by creating that they were intending to perscribe tablets 4 times aday but hadnt altered care package to deal with it and us refusing to administer drugs to her. She is desperate to get home too. Hopefully we will have some luck with her GP tomorrow as its our only route left. At least if he is on board to do house calls to monitor her we will at least have some one who knows her assessing her.
Tomorrow another day and another battle.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Has your mum been officially diagnosed with dementia? I making because if she has and the consultant is not referring her to the social work team then quite frankly he is being ridiculous.
Is you brother actually coming to stay with her? If not then get him to inform the hospital that he is not going to be with her like she says he is and therefore she is a VULNERABLE adult. Please make sure that the nursing staff are aware of all of your concerns. If they can be on your side they may be able to support you in persuading the consultant to refer her.
I do hope some resolution comes and she has her care package altered enough, or she is found a care home that suits her.