Hospital visits

EmilySd

Dec 30, 2015
Derby
Hi all. I got a call on Friday whilst at work, my parents never call me at work let alone on my work phone. My Granddad had been brought into A&E by ambulance. Luckily I work in the hospital and I was allowed to leave my desk half an hour early to go down to majors. He has vascular dementia and is slowly deteriorating. He had fallen out of bed two days prior to his admission, some days he doesn't leave his bed all day so it seemed normal to grandma that he wasn't getting up, but two days after when he tried to get up, he was extremely dizzy and vomiting for hours, he was confused and snappy, Grandma couldn't cope so she called the ambulance and they came to take him in.

He's convinced the police are after him, he has completely gone, my Granddad, Mums Dad, my Dads father in law, my Grandmas husband, he's just not here when you look at him. He's hallucinating and he doesn't know where he is. Grandma is looking into getting more care for him, but finding private healthcare local to us is so hard.

I don't really know why I'm sharing this, because my writing is all muddled so it makes no sense. I guess I'm just looking for someone to say they've been here before and it's going to be ok.

I'm going on my Dementia Friends champion course in Derby in March, I'm really looking forward to meeting lots of new people and learning more about Dementia and Alzheimer's.
Is anyone else doing the course?

Emily x

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Maybe he has an infection somewhere that has escalated his confusion leading to his hallucinations. I'm sure the doctors in the hospital will check him out for that.
Also being in a different environment will increase his confusion. I just hope that the hospital ensure that the correct care is in place before he goes home. I would look at that and not accept him home without care and help being available for your grandma to continue to be able to care.