Hospital Visits

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Mum was admitted to hospital last week with an infection. We keep going to visit, but she is not in a local hospital (100 mile round trip). We were wondering whether we should be going every day as it is tiring us (i.e. is she likely to appreciate it or is it more stressful for her when we are not there)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
If Mum had broken her hip, and was not suffering from Dementia, would you visit her in hospital every day?
In all honesty, I would not travel those sort of distances every day, unless ( and even then I would try to get the hopital on side) unless I was the only person to get Mum to eat or sleep.
Your Mum is not on her own, she is under 24/7 supervision. I don't know where your Mum lives normally, is she at home or in residential care? Does she recognise you and respond to you?

I think that you can cut down your visits and simply telephone the ward each morning and see how she is. You can always visit if the news warrants a visit.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Mum was admitted to hospital last week with an infection. We keep going to visit, but she is not in a local hospital (100 mile round trip). We were wondering whether we should be going every day as it is tiring us (i.e. is she likely to appreciate it or is it more stressful for her when we are not there)

You can't keep this up, you will be exhausted. Am assuming hospital staff make sure she is eating etc.

Hugs winging their way to you.

Aisling xx

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
We're both exhausted but trying to keep life as normal around the visits. We went yesterday and were late because of traffic and mum was upset. I think the nurses are building up that we are coming to visit and she does seem to appreciate it (I don't know whether she is upset when we've gone and realises we'll be back)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour