Hospital treatment is just not working

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
My wife has been in the hospital for four weeks nows for assessment. They are now giving her dementia medication and antipsychotic pills, and every day we go to see her she is getting less and less responsive to a point now where we feel it is pointless going to visit anymore. She was happy and content previously at home, but the doctors at the hospital fail to understand that a lot of the issues they are trying to improve are being caused by the hospital environment (my wife even years ago hated going into hospital). I fear that we will end up with the hospital seeking permanent nursing home or the medication will leave her in a near comatose state.
How can I get my point of view across, I would rather have my wife as responsive as possible rather than easier for the carers to handle?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I thought your wife was coming home and you had the equipment installed for her?

I remember the discussion about which room should be used to put her bed in.

Edit to say sorry, Im thinking of a different person.

But I did think I remembered you saying that she was coming home.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I thought your wife was coming home and you had the equipment installed for her?
The consultant wanted her in the hospital so that they could get documented proof of her condition for CHC funding. They sectioned her and took her away in a secure ambulance, it is no wonder she found the whole process upsetting. Then in the MTD meeting last week social worker argued strongly that she should not be allowed home due to her condition.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Um, things must have got quite bad if she needed sectioning and they are looking at CHC.

Medication is quite often a delicate balancing act between helping the symptoms that got them there in the first place and not turning them into a zombie. I hope they get her sorted out quickly

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
things must have got quite bad
Exactly the opposite! We have been trying to CHC funding to get more care at home which I know longer term will be needed. Before going into the hospital my wife was happy and we had a wonderful team of carers. I fear that this is now the end of things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455