Hospital stay has benefits.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After a difficult time with my skin I was suddenly and unexpectedly ordered to attend my local Dermatology ward as an in patient for an unspecified period. Now, before the days of lockdown and Covid my partner, who has Alzheimer’s disease, was quite happy, after years of travelling with me in our caravan, to let me holiday alone and she managed very well on her own during these brief years and she refused point blank to have help in the home or for anything else. then just prior to Covid she was hospitalised for over 5 weeks and when I brought her home and, again through Covid, no care package was available and so managed on my own ever since teaching her how to walk agin etc and I have been here to see to all her wants and needs now suddenly I was to be whisked away and her still insisting on no careers or the like. Amazingly all has gone very well and she is so proud of herself with just the occasional visit from family but no offer of ‘proper’ help in her caring. Clearly she has struggled at times and this was shown to me yesterday and today on the phone when she agreed with me getting a cleaner in one day a week and even agreed to a “dementia friend” or similar calling in and sitting with her. Major breakthroughs both, and now, as I enter my 2nd week here, it is for me to get sorted, get home and get things done. Never saw this coming!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
After a difficult time with my skin I was suddenly and unexpectedly ordered to attend my local Dermatology ward as an in patient for an unspecified period. Now, before the days of lockdown and Covid my partner, who has Alzheimer’s disease, was quite happy, after years of travelling with me in our caravan, to let me holiday alone and she managed very well on her own during these brief years and she refused point blank to have help in the home or for anything else. then just prior to Covid she was hospitalised for over 5 weeks and when I brought her home and, again through Covid, no care package was available and so managed on my own ever since teaching her how to walk agin etc and I have been here to see to all her wants and needs now suddenly I was to be whisked away and her still insisting on no careers or the like. Amazingly all has gone very well and she is so proud of herself with just the occasional visit from family but no offer of ‘proper’ help in her caring. Clearly she has struggled at times and this was shown to me yesterday and today on the phone when she agreed with me getting a cleaner in one day a week and even agreed to a “dementia friend” or similar calling in and sitting with her. Major breakthroughs both, and now, as I enter my 2nd week here, it is for me to get sorted, get home and get things done. Never saw this coming!
so sorry you have been in hospital. hope you are home soon. its good that your wife has accepted the help now. maybe she understands.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
This must be so good to know @Agzy when you have your own health to deal with. I hope that you improve and can get back to caring duties as I am sure that you have been missed.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I hope that they sort you out soon @Agzy and really glad that your partner has coped so well. It's a real achievement for her to look after herself in whatever fashion she may have used. I taught dad to walk again after his pneumonia as the occupational therapy ward was useless. He became quite nimble in the house with his frame although he frequently scared me if he had a wobble. Outside was a different thing altogether and really scary.

Well done to both of you and I am sure that you will both grow to appreciate the new found help.