Hospital releasing Alzheimer's patient who is unable to stand or walk

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
My father is 87 and has advanced Alzheimer's. He no longer recognises any family members, and requires help with every aspect of day-to-day life (dressing, washing, eating, toilet, etc). He is basically mobile but shuffles around very slowly. He is also doubly incontinent. My mother, who is 93, cares for him at home. Yesterday my father had a fall, and was taken to Hospital. He appears to have suffered no physical injuries, and was discharged after about 6 hours. Prior to discharge he was attended by a member of staff from Alzheimer's & Dementia Support Services, who put in place a 7-day bridging care plan, commencing with an initial assessment then an overnight service for the first 3 nights.
When the first ADSS assessor arrived she noted that my father was unable to stand or walk, and could not be supported by either my mother or the carers that were scheduled to arrive. She had a strong suspicion that he had a urinary tract infection. Based on his state, she said that the hospital should not have released him, that it was clearly a failed discharge, and she called an ambulance to take him back to the hospital. The medics who arrived with the ambulance examined my father. They noted that he had extreme pain when there was any contact with his kidneys, and were also made aware that he had not passed any urine for more than 24 hours.
My father spent the night in hospital, but was sent home to my mother this morning at 8am with a catheter. My sister spoke with the hospital this morning, before he was discharged, and asked them why they were discharging him if he was still unable to stand or walk. They were insistent that they could not continue to accommodate him as they had fitted a catheter and felt that there was nothing more to do.They had concluded that he did not have a UTI, but was retaining water (hence the catheter). They sent no instructions on how my mother was to supposed to manage the catheter. My father was in a worse state than he was the night before. He was unable to string any words together, still had pain in his kidneys, and could not move from the sofa. My mother had no idea how to deal with him.
Another ADSS representative visited this afternoon (who had also been involved in his discharge after his first hospital visit). She said that he looked like a completely different man today (i.e. much worse than yesterday), and once again an ambulance was called to take him back to the hospital. The ambulance staff commented that they thought it very likely that my father would be sent straight back home in the morning to my helpless mother.
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on:
1) How we can stop the hospital from releasing my father in the morning if he is still unable to stand or walk
2) What agencies exist (in the Swanley/North Kent area) who could provide emergency 2-person care at short notice if my father is discharged again tomorrow morning in his current immobile state and my mother has no way of getting him to the toilet, to his bed, or anywhere else?

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
That is truly shocking. I have no knowledge of your area and I am sure someone will comment. I don't believe that would happen in our Glasgow hospitals and if it did there would be a front page story. Disgraceful!

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
This is beyond ridiculous!

I would firstly inform the hospital that your Mother is being cared for by you at your home due to stress related exhaustion/ carer burn out. The marital home will be locked, and there will be no one available to care for Dad.

I would then be seeking out a care home that has both an EMI unit (that can cope with challenging behaviour/ aggression) and a Nursing Section pretty pronto for respite care that could become permanent should that become needed. The care home would probably need a report from the hospital about your Dad's care needs before they would accept him, which would concentrate their minds somewhat, especially as he may become deemed as a bed blocker.

Your poor Mum - I feel so angry for you all to have been so let down so badly by NHS.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is a horrendous situation for your mum to be put in, ppm. Have you or your mum tried ringing Social Services ? They should have an emergency stand by team available, and certainly in Bristol they can set up 72 hours of emergency respite if needed. Good luck.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I do not have words to express what I feel to hear this. A feature on the local news tonight a man with dementia and practically blind was dropped off in the dark, inadequately dressed, in a taxi commissioned by the JR Hospital Oxford.
He was found in a very confused state. He died 16 days later of pneumonia.
His widow says the Ombudsman said the Hospital was not act inappropriately.
What can we do?
How can we protect those who served this country well.
I am so upset.

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I haven't tried Social Services (in part because they haven't helped much in the past). As any care would need to be self-funded presumably SS wouldn't be interested in helping?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @ppm
what a horrible time your family are having
I do agree that the hospital need to be told that your father cannot be returned home, that your mother is unable (through no fault of her own) to provide the level of care he now needs even with home care visits - I too would tell them you mother herself needs to be looked after and will be staying with you, so they would be returing your father to an empty, locked property
remind them that no adult is responsible for the care of another adult, the 'duty of care' lies with the Local Authority who are the ones responsible for your father who is a 'vulnerable adult' due to his dementia and failing health and now 'at risk' of harm due to neglect as his sole main carer simply cannot cope (again, this is in no way a reflection of how much your mother cares for him, it is stating how their situation is right now)
ask for the dementia matron (or similar title) to be involved and the hospital social worker, even ask for a 'best interest meeting' - contact the PALS as they will know the hospital's procedures

here are some sites that may be of help
https://www.kent.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/care-and-support/how-to-get-help#tab-2
for emergency contact

https://www.kent.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/care-and-support/housing-and-care-homes/care-homes

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

https://www.carehome.co.uk/care_search_results.cfm/searchcountry/England

https://www.cqc.org.uk/what-we-do/services-we-regulate/find-care-home

members cannot recommend particular care homes or services on the open forum, but the sites above should have the names of homes in your area
if your father will be self funding, there is nothing to stop you arranging respite or full time care - if a contribution from the LA will be needed (if his personal savings are below £23250) the LA's Adult Services will have to be involved

best wishes to you all

crossed with your post above -
even if your father is self-funding, the LA have a duty to see to his welfare and may be able to help with emergency respite - I'd say they need to be aware of your parents' situation, so do contact them

just thought of Admiral Nurses - they have a helpline to call
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

and the AS helpline - open til 8 tonight
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

Last edited:

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
Many thanks for the info and links.
I managed to speak to the doctor working on my father's case this evening, and he assured me that there was no way my father would be sent home. Rather worryingly, he wasn't aware that he had Alzheimer's until I told him. He was also going off duty 20 minutes after I spoke to him, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that whoever is on duty tomorrow morning will have the same view. The doctor said that the discharge process should involve 2 stages - one relating to the medical assessment and the other concerned with ongoing arrangements (e.g. care requirements). It seems that the 2nd of these wasn't done this morning. It sounds like the handover of information is far from ideal between shifts.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have just written to PALs for the policy and to ask what steps are taken to protect patients with dementia as an underlying cause whatever condition is presented.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @ppm

I would say I was shocked by your dad being discharged by the hospital when he is obviously well, but I’m not because this happened to my dad over the summer. He was discharged after two days having had a serious stroke (bleed on the brain) and unable to walk without assistance when he’d been fully mobile before. Within the next 2 days he was returned to hospital (A&E) by his GP having had 2 falls and now unable to walk at all. That morning I got a call from A&E asking me to collect him as he was medically fit!!!!

I didn’t - instead I removed his house keys and told hospital they were responsible for his welfare as I couldn’t care for him in that state. He was put on a section 2 and the hospital social worker was then involved. Eventually I managed to get him a carehome place with help from the social worker who was brilliant. Dad was just under the border for self funding but social services have a responsibility to make sure your dad (and mum) are safe and well cared for.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/at-the-end-of-my-tether.107530/
Is my thread and if you read pages 22-25 it’ll give you an idea of what I did to make sure dad stayed in hospital. He was eventually kept in for about 4 weeks on a section 2 and then discharged to an assessment bed in a carehome for a further 4 weeks after which it was decided he could stay there - but I had to fight for that too as they wanted to send him home...

Last edited:

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks Bunpoots - it's always good to hear that there's someone else in the same boat as you. I'm not sure whether a Section 2 will be an option for Dad as he's already been diagnosed with Alzheimer's (about 2 years ago). Is that true, or do you know if it would still be possible? It would certainly help to buy some time.
At the moment the main concerns for me are uncertainty and timing - i.e. will Mum be able to cope with him when he's discharged, and if not what will happen while arrangements are made for long-term care? It would need to be self-funded, so I don't expect SS to be too interested in helping (they haven't been in the past).
I did actually contact PALS at the hospital (email last night, phone message this morning), but am still waiting for a response.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @ppm. my dad was diagnosed in 2015. The section 2 (of the mental health act) gives the hospital the power to detain a patient for their own safety for up to 28 days. I googled it to find out the details and decided it was the best thing to happen for dad although the person on the end of the phone made it sound like a threat!! Once sectioned the hospital and social services are then have to make sure that your dad is safely discharged to somewhere safe and suitable for his needs so they can’t just dump him at home and expect your mum to cope.

The hospital sectioned dad because I refused to allow him to be sent home, romoved his key from the key safe and said they had responsibility for his safety. I bet they loved me! I felt it was necessary. I got a call from the hospital threatening to section him if I didn’t fetch him so I said do it. It bought me time to decide what to do next.

Social services were then involved - this turned out to be a positive too. The hospital social worker was great.

I phoned the Alzheimer’s society while the hospital were trying to discharge dad and I was trying to keep him there and they advised me to sit tight and let the hospital make the next move.

Your mum also needs to say that she won’t have him home as she can’t cope while he is this poorly. You will have to be very determined.

ppm

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for that - really useful advice. It's another option which may prove to be really important if they want to turf him out again. Still waiting for calls back from SS and PALS. I'm beginning to realise how busy they might be dealing with these sorts of problems :0(

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for that - really useful advice. It's another option which may prove to be really important if they want to turf him out again. Still waiting for calls back from SS and PALS. I'm beginning to realise how busy they might be dealing with these sorts of problems :0(

Something similar happened with my MIL. She was admitted to hospital with severe dehydration in the summer was discharged with an increased care package which she was funding anyway. At home it became apparent that she was unsuitable to be at home on her own. She was readmitted as a failed discharge and husband and I decided it was time for a care home. We had to stand our ground when hospital said she was medically fit for discharge . There was no way she was coming back home a second time. Fortunately we found a care home quickly but we were prepared to make a nuisance of ourselves to get things done. I didn't bother with social services throughout the care my MIL received even when she went into her care home. To be honest there was no time to wait around for them.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I didn't bother with social services throughout the care my MIL received even when she went into her care home. To be honest there was no time to wait around for them.

That was my first reaction- just to get dad into a carehome ASAP. But he has limited funds so I had to play the system. If you are confident that your dad has enough money to fund his care for the rest of his life you and your mum can decide what to do but I would fight to keep him in hospital where he clearly belongs. I too was prepared to make a nuisance of myself if necessary. Fortunately the hospital’s decision to section dad bought me some breathing time. It was the best thing that could’ve happened. Only in dementia land could the sectioning of a relative be a cause for celebration!!

I think it’s disgusting the way old people are treated by the NHS! I know there’s limited funding but it reminds me of the comment made by Eliza Doolittle’s father in My Fair Lady about the “deserving poor” and the “undeserving poor”.

So much for “cradle to grave”...if only!

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan