Hospital has cut medication without consent

Wish

Jul 8, 2016
Has your family member a named next of kin to whom the doctors give information?

Aisling xx

hello Aisling
no we are his direct next of kin so in all honesty they should be talking straight to us but as we have proved to be quite emotional they have appeared to bypass us

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thank you for the support i cannot evenbegin to express how helpful this is proving to be.
I felt thqt i should provide an update well it seems that my realtive was talking today and eating which is great to hear although i know it could be snatched from me at any moment i will hold onto this.
I spoke to the on site doctor and asked to see all of my family member medical notes so i could see when the meds had stop being given i was denied told its with another department and as it end life i should focus on the present and not bring up emotional thoughts.
Feeling really annoyed that information that could help me gain understanding is being taken away

Have you thought of approaching Pals again? It does seem a bit strange that you are getting different information from different people re the talking and eating. Have you actually been able to see your family member?

Wish

Jul 8, 2016
Have you thought of approaching Pals again? It does seem a bit strange that you are getting different information from different people re the talking and eating. Have you actually been able to see your family member?
Going to look at pals again although people are telling me on the weekend it is difficult to contact them .
I have seen them and I can see the eating slight range of movement but the doctors looks at it as he is non verbal in communication a large part of the time that there isn't much more you can do although any who cares for alzheimers suffers know that there are lots ways to communicate

Wish

Jul 8, 2016
Taken away medication without consent

Hello everybody providing an update we have spoken to pals and also a compliant board and one of my family has been told that its look like misconduct has been done with regards to taking away my family member blood pressure and diabetes medication and not providing physiotherapy considering that he has been eating and moving.
The biggest grivence is that the doctor moved my family member towards end of life without discussion despite even nurses telling us that they spoke to the doctor that another course should be considered but noone bothered to listen and now i dont know what to think.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am at the moment arranging my LPA for Legal and Financial affairs.
I was hesitating over doing the same for Health and Welfare as I had little problem with not having this for my husband as I had Deputyship for which there is no H & W option.
As my husband's obvious next of kin, I am not aware of being denied access to any information regarding my husband when I asked for it.
However, this thread has made me think again.
I am assuming that the OP doesn't have this in place.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Thank you the support everybody.
I have tried pals hopefully they can get a better line of communication then i did.
I just feel so useless i cant walk without crying im trying to be strong but breaking inside and frightened that i can see my family structure breaking apart and i cant hold it together for them.
Im sorry to be putting so much out just my mind is an absolute mess

Don't ever worry about posting, this forum has got me through some really low points, just knowing that others understand your unique pain is a comfort at the worst of times. Doctors always seem to be covering themselves in situations like this and and it leaves relatives feeling unheard and undervalued. After spending so much time as a primary carer to not be listened to is so hard. It doesn't make it any easier knowing you are not alone but take comfort that others understand and are there for you to talk to.
Sorry I can't offer practical support

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hello everybody providing an update we have spoken to pals and also a compliant board and one of my family has been told that its look like misconduct has been done with regards to taking away my family member blood pressure and diabetes medication and not providing physiotherapy considering that he has been eating and moving.
The biggest grivence is that the doctor moved my family member towards end of life without discussion despite even nurses telling us that they spoke to the doctor that another course should be considered but noone bothered to listen and now i dont know what to think.

I thought you said in your opening post that you'd had a discussion, and that you'd been told there was nothing more that could be done for your relative, and you are now saying that discussion didn't take place, or maybe that you didn't understand that meant end of life care?

It doesn't sound as though you have much trust in Dr's judgement- metformin removal for instance, if they are not really eating, do they need it? Are they diabetic and till receiving insulin as required? I appreciate that as you can't see notes, you don't know, but maybe they don't need blood pressure tablets now?
Misconduct? Really?

I think what I am trying to say is, try not to make enemies of the doctors and nurses. As I understand from what you have said, they is little chance of recovery, so why do you want physio? Isn't it better to leave your relative in peace and not be irritated by a physio wanting them to do this that and the other? To what end?

Its so hard to be close to someone at this stage, and perfectly natural to want everything possible to be done for them, but sometimes we have to accept, and make the best of 'here and now' rather than keep fighting .

Wish

Jul 8, 2016
I thought you said in your opening post that you'd had a discussion, and that you'd been told there was nothing more that could be done for your relative, and you are now saying that discussion didn't take place, or maybe that you didn't understand that meant end of life care?

It doesn't sound as though you have much trust in Dr's judgement- metformin removal for instance, if they are not really eating, do they need it? Are they diabetic and till receiving insulin as required? I appreciate that as you can't see notes, you don't know, but maybe they don't need blood pressure tablets now?
Misconduct? Really?

I think what I am trying to say is, try not to make enemies of the doctors and nurses. As I understand from what you have said, they is little chance of recovery, so why do you want physio? Isn't it better to leave your relative in peace and not be irritated by a physio wanting them to do this that and the other? To what end?

Its so hard to be close to someone at this stage, and perfectly natural to want everything possible to be done for them, but sometimes we have to accept, and make the best of 'here and now' rather than keep fighting .

Thank you for the feedback believe me I'm not trying to make enemies of the doctors and certainly not of the nurses who have been amazing.
to
My problem is that as said in other posts he is actually eating well the majority of the time which the doctors have said that they notice and that they should have kept an eye on blood pressure so it's a bit annoying that they said one thing and now have gone back on it.
If they were that adamant that no recovery was possible why bother change tact just state the facts and stand firm.
It just things like that or removing medication putting him on end if life and not telling the family is annoying which I guarantee the doctor didn't say end of life they just said put him in a nursing home from that to end of life seems to be quite a big jump

Wish

Jul 8, 2016
Lack of meds progression

Hello everybody i want to again say thank you for the support that i have received from talking point my family member has been discharged to continue care at home although the hospital hasnt written a discharge note for him for like over a month so the carers district nurses have had no access to vital information and they themselves have said the way he has been handled is unacceptable.
I feel so frustrated knowing that i cant do nothing but that seems the doctors also felt that my family wasnt worth wasting any paperwork on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet