Hospital evaluation today

Driftingalong

Jan 25, 2016
Hi there,
I'm new to this but I'm looking for some advice.
My mum had been caring for dad at home for the last 8-9 years, however as things have gotten steadily worse the cpn came round today to see dad and ended up admitting him into the local dementia unit at the hospital for a complee medical and psychiatric evaluation.
I reckon he must be nearing the end stages however mum is still in a bit of denial as he still has 'good' days.
The last few weeks he has been struggling to swallow, has been sleeping night and day and getting steadily aggressive when she tries to wake him to take his medication.

Basically how long would he be in hospital for evaluation before we discuss the next stage?
I'm 150 miles away and worried sick

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hi, Driftingalong, and welcome to TP. I hope you find this a good resource for advice, information, and support.

There are also very good factsheets and general information to be found on the website of the Alzheimer's Society, if you've not already found that.

I am sorry to hear about the situation with your father. Obviously no one here can predict the future, and I'm not going to try, but it sounds as if your father's dementia is progressing, as it does eventually. This must be a very worrying and stressful time for you.

I am sure it's difficult for everyone, to have him in hospital, but hope this means he will get whatever evaluations and treatments he needs, including a medication review. This is much easier to do in hospital and I hope you will get some good information.

You mentioned he has been struggling to swallow, so I would be sure to tell the staff/consultant/nurses about that, and ask for an assessment from the SALT team, if they have not already done that.

I hope he will also be assessed for any untreated pain that he may be having, as that can obviously cause a lot of distress.

And don't feel shy to talk to the staff and ask them questions, such as, how long do you think my father will be in hospital, and are we approaching end-of-life? I think the hospital will have a PALS team or other patient care advocate, or a social worker, if you need help getting information or communicating with them. As you're at a distance, you might find it helpful to get someone's name and direct phone number whom you could ring every day at a set time, for an update.

I hope others here will be able to give you some better advice.

Best wishes to you and your family.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello and welcome to the forum.

My husband was admitted to an assessment unit and he was there 9 weeks before they were sure they had everything covered and the changes to medication were working as they wanted.

How long your Dad will be there will depend on his needs. it is important that everything is the best it can be before he is moved on, either to return home or go into care. Please be advised by the people who are treating your Dad, they will be observing and treating and will know at the end the right level of care for your Dad.

We were advised after just three weeks that my husband could not return home because of his complex needs and it took them another 6 weeks to get him to a place where they were happy for him to move on.

I hope your Mum will use this time to rest and get her strength back, while the experts do their job.