Hospital discharged as "medically fit" despite having dementia

Kevinm100

Dec 19, 2014
Just a general concern about the hospital definition of "medically fit" for patients with dementia. My brother was discharged with this assessment despite the fact that he has (and had been diagnosed with) dementia. I appreciate the hospital wanted to free the bed but feel the NHS should not have used this description since it was obvious to even a casual observer that he was not "medically fit" as far as mental capacity was concerned.

Additionally I'm concerned that there was no attempt to prevent him from driving (the family took it upon themselves to remove his vehicle).

Just wondered if others have experienced similar behaviour.

I'm tempted to report the issue to PALS.

Shell27

Dec 25, 2011
My mum is in the process of being discharged from hospital following an Alzheimer's Dementia diagnosis but social services carried out an assessment and best interests meeting with me and Dad to agree where that discharge should be to. In Mum's case it was agreed that 24 hour care was now required and placement in a care home. I could be wrong but would have thought that the hospital should have checked there was a safe environment for your brother to return to?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Evening Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Did they check if there is a care plan in place at least? The problem with PALS I have found, at least in Bristol Royal Infirmary is that they will not follow up a complaint unless it comes from the patient and my partner never likes to make a fuss, so unless your brother wishes to make a complaint himself you could hit a dead end. The Carer Liaison team were better at passing on concerns, hope you have someone like that at your local hospital.
Sorry, cannot help beyond that.

NaSporran